May 29th
    1st swarm call of the year. Success.
    To everything there is a season....

Smile

Got 1 swarm on May 21, the phone has been sillent since. 44612
    levenbad

First Swarm Call: May 11
    Last Swarm Call: June 25

I was told by my Bee Club that swarm season in this region is normally 2 weeks before and after Mother's Day. I think because of lots of rain and cool temperatures this year was either extended or pushed back a bit.

A half of my swarm calls (5 of 10) were clusters that had been caught out in inclement weather and clustered for at least 24 hours.
    Richard
    Carriage House Farm, North Bend, Ohio

Collected a football sized swarm on August 16th.

Small swarm in an apple tree

8-30-08 Oak Hill, OH 45656

Default Groveport Ohio 5-12-09

I caught a nice swarm in Groveport today. They actually landed yesterday and hung out through the frost last night... It was the biggest swarm I have caught but i dont have a lot to compare to...

05-15-09 - 2 swarms this evening, both in Hawthorn trees, one from 45640 and the other 45656

Default 3 swarms this past weekend

I've heard of numerous swarms in central Ohio for the past 2 weeks. I got my first calls starting 3 days ago (5/15/09). The first I could not get to. And the third was an easy shake out of a tree. But it is the second one that will give everyone a laugh. I work at a firehouse and on Saturday I get a call at home that a lady had just pulled up to the firehouse w/ a swarm hanging onto the back of her minivan !!! She saw them land on her car and then drove around the freeway for 20 minutes trying to get them to fall off. Having no luck at this she came to the firehouse. She was hoping someone would just take a hose and spray them off. Luckily I have educated the guys and they called me first. Took me an hour to get there, and by the time I did, the bees had already started to put wax down on the paint!! The bees hanging on the back were easily brushed into a bucket....but then I discovered that half the swarm had worked there way into the crack between the back hatch and the rear post of the van. So it was time for the Bee Vac. I opened up the hatch and slowly vaccumed up the remainder of the colony. Here comes the "funny" part. Somewhere around this time I had removed my veil, you know, things were going pretty easy. Well, getting vaccumed apparently "really ticked off" one of the ladies. She took a bee-line directly to my mustashe and stung my upper lip. For most people this would be nothing but an irritant. But, you see, I am slightly more sensitive to bee venom than most. I don't have a respiratory allergy, but I SWELL UP A LOT. More than most. Within 20 minutes my upper lip looked like it had been transplanted from Angelina Jolie and the left side of my face looked a lot like a volley ball !! And what do the guys at the fire house do? Do they offer any sympathy? Do they act the least bit concerned w/ my health? Of course not. This is a fire house. They took pictures, they took video and they laughed. A lot !!. In the end, the swarm was about 3-4 lbs and it now has a new home at my place. The lady was happy the bees were off her car and my face is less swollen now. Thought all of you would like the story.

5-20-09 Got my first swarm ever wednesday as a new bee keeper. it was small and only about 1lb but it was a start. I added it to my weak hive to boost the numbers

So far everything is going great

Quote Originally Posted by edenhillapiaries View Post
    Up to nine swarms so far. Caught three yesterday, and two were real whoppers. One barely fit in a deep super. We are having one heck of an apple bloom this year. The bees are really working them well.
    The hive that I put it in didnt have a queen. I figured the swarm queen would be best since they are already used to her. This hive is now on its 4th queen they keep either killing her or she doesnt stay

got a call from a carlot wed. had a swarm all over the car. by the time i got there thay had ran it through the car wash twice and all i got was about a tea cup full.

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

southeastern ohio. 4-12-10. got my first swarm call. 20 feet up in a cherry tree

May 2, 2010, Got home to swirling whirlwind of bees in my neighbors yard. They started to land about 8 foot off the ground in our pear tree. I was sure it was ours. One of my hives had been making swarm cells. But....as of today I'm not sure. Will need to do more investigating.
    At least I have them, who ever they are.

May 6th, Small swarm in a tree about 6ft high in Delaware Oh.

Smile Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

first swarm! 5/7/10 17:00 zip 45840 (NW OH), a + 5 pounder.

Found my first swarm this year at 7:45 pm, May 9, 2010. East Liverpool, Ohio 43920.
    I happened to be in the backyard and almost walked on top of them. They were clumped on the ground about 50 yards from my hives. We placed a nuc on the ground and started slowly scooping them up into it. Once some were inside they fanned at the entrance and they started walking in. We used the bee brush to help move them along. We finished with flashlights! Tonights low is in the 30's and I hope they make it.
    Joe and Heidi S.

Local PD called me this evening. 2 swarms in the same tree. One swarm was probably 5-6 pounds, and the second swarm was 4 feet away and about 2 pounds.

Mt. Vernon, Ohio 43050

Big Grin Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Got another one; 45840 zip (NW Ohio) 18:00 hr. about a 4#er.

may 14th 4:00 pm jackson ohio.45640 swarm came to some dead outs stacked in the yard and some 5 frame deep traps i had in the back of my pickup. had just got home from work 15 min earlier 1st swarm of the year.do not know where this swarm came from
    Last edited by wadehump; 05-13-2010 at 08:18 PM. Reason: zip code

Smile Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Another one: 15:00, 5/14, zip 45840 (NW Ohio), small a little over 2#

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast