Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kentucky

Default Kentucky

Three on the 29th and one on the 27th.

42567 Eubank, Ky.

Default Caught my bees swarming.

My Bees swarmed on August 24th 2008 in Northern Kentucky area.
    First year bee keeping.
    1. Lesson learned don't continue feeding a new hive all summer.

When I checked after the swarm they had almost completely filled up 2 large broad boxes. That's why they swarmed. ( I think )

2. Always have an extra hive ready to catch your swarm or someones elses.
    Lucky I had an extra one and was able to catch them, also lucky I found them in a tree in my yard on a Sunday morning when I was home.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2728832...45776/sizes/l/

Bruce

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Caught my first swarm May 10th mothers day. Saw my second on friday May 15th then captured it saturday morning.

Changed there Bottom board to a screened one yesterday and both seem to be doing well.

Have one since last night in a medium spruce tree. This morning it is raining and they are still there. Now I will have to rig up some things to maybe catch them. Have never done this. Wish I knew womeone near with a bee vacuum. Oh, well...Take care and have fun.

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates

Union Ky. 41091 got a call for a swarm about 8 miles from the house. It was perfect on a branch about 6 feet up. Perfect ! About a 3 pounder. Got the call at 10am had them in a new hive that was already built by 11am
    Today is a good day !

Good luck to everyone.
    Bruce

Hunstonville Ky...Picked up a 5 lb swarm may 8th 2010 at eye level on a willow tree, Installed them in the observation Top Bar Hive once i got home!! It was a good Day!!!

Hunstonville Ky...I gotta phone call last night that there was another swarm in this guys willow tree. I just got about 5 pounds saturday out of the willow tree and this morning i went back to the same willow tree and got 4 more pound! I got home installed them in the left side of my Observation Top Bar Hive and they started to draw comb right away. About an hour later i went to check on their progress and i had a softball size cluster on the corner of the swarm box which was tilted towards the entrance hole...So i helped them out by opening the top door for the ladies...So i guess thats true that the ladies wants someone to open the door for them all the time...hahaha

May 12th at 41091 Union Ky. ( Northern Ky. )
    2nd swarm in 6 days. Got a call from a local hotel about a large swarm in a small tree. It was huge, the biggest one I have ever caught anyway.
    Started hive #12 tonight. I had a great day !

Good Luck to everyone.
    Bruce

May 13th Union Ky. 41091 ( Northern Ky. )

How lucky can you be, another swarm call today. Left work early and got them. They had just left one tree went down the road about 200 yards and was able to find them. I started my 13th hive on May 13th, kind of odd.

I counted my days wrong on the other post. It has been 6 days now and I have caught 3 swarms. A great day.

Good luck to all.
    Bruce
    Last edited by Kentuckybee; 05-14-2010 at 04:26 AM.

I caught a swarm in a swarm trap yesterday. 6/13/10 Clay County, Kentucky

One of my nucs I started last july and one of my uncle's hives swarmed yesterday. Manchester, Kentucky 40962

Default Lexington, KY

4/15 5lb swarm from a bee tree, landed 35 feet up a pine tree. I was able to collect them with a little creative ladder work. Unfortunately I don't think I got the queen. The were very restless after hiving. Some started to cluster on the outside of a nuc next to it.

5/5/2011
    Greensburg Ky 42743
    1st Swarm this year
    approx 5 pound swarm on a black locust fence post!

I am in Central Kentucky and split a couple of hives on April 2nd. On May 5, 6 and 7 the same small hive that I moved to my father's house 4 miles away had a swarm of been in a small tree about 50 yards from the single hive (yes, 3 swarms from the same hive - each one smaller than the first. There were no other bees (known) in the area. It was a nice warm spring 65-70 during the day and 50 at night.

3-4 lb Swarm 15 feet up a tree. Found wild parent colony 20 feet away. Mayslick Ky 41055. First of the year. About 70 degrees off and on rain all day. I was able to get them down and in a hive.

Caught a nice swarm at 7:00 pm. Got the call at 5:50 pm just as it started to rain. Rained all evening. Mayslick, ky 41055

Picked up a large swarm from a fence post. Got a call right after school. And had then in the box by 5 pm. Maysville ky 41056

Central KY, noticed at 10am today, it was cloudy low 60's, 3 lb swarm about 10 ft up in a pear tree. I've got 10 hives within 20-100 ft of the tree, so I'm going to assume it was from one of my hives. Climbed a ladder and while holding a nuc box I shook the bees in. I did capture the queen and she looks to be quite young as she did not have much size on her. The were still in the nuc box tonight.

Caught a previous swarm from another hive of mine on 4/30/12

5/14/2013 in KY 41031 caught a swarm about 25 feet up in tree. Temperature was near 80 degrees and very breezy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast