Threaded View

May 29, 2007 around 2pm about 2-3 miles away from my house
    Gillett, PA 16925
    temps today were in the high 70's

Today I was driving down the road when all of a sudden my windshield was pelleted with something. I'm like WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT! Within seconds I realize that it was a swarm of honeybees!!! I was able to see where they were going but wasnt sure if they would be there later or not (I couldnt go after them right then). Hours later I went and found them right where I last spotted them. I talked to the lady of the closest house and she said that they actually swarmed yesterday just yards away from the original hive in her house. So I guess 1st (known) area swarm was on 5/28/07. I cut the branches and shook them off in a nuc which had drawn out comb. I took my daughter to take pics but she's not too fond of bees - when she was younger she was attacked by yellow jackets.

I went back around 8:30pm to bring them home but must be the 5 frame deep nuc is too small for them all!! They are still hanging all over the front and sides. They must feel "at home" because they are acting aggressive now - got me in the knee. Tomorrow I'll have to take bigger box along with my suit - bad thing is that I have to climb an embankment to get them out.

This is my very first swarm that i've seen airborne!! I have a pic of me when I was around 8 or 9 yrs old standing next to a swarm that had landed on a tree limb. And now 27-28 yrs later I have another pic of me beside a swarm.

I guess I'll double post this in the photogallery with pics
    Last edited by Dee; 05-29-2007 at 10:25 PM.