Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pennsylvania

Default Pennsylvania

May 15, 2007
    zip 16226
    sunny day in low 80's
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

I removed a swarm from a soffet in the mount airy section of Philadephia on 5/20/07. They had drawn out about 6 frames of wax and had newly capped brood. I'm assuming they were there for about 10 or 12 days.

I just caught another massive swarm today, 5/22/07. The owner said it was on the side of his machine shop. By the time I got there it was in the wall, and boy was there alot of them. Sucked the girls out with my Bee Vac. I had another call today, but by the time the first swarm was secured, the second swarm was gone.

Well my massive swarm from yesterday decided to go into my neighbors cedar tree. They were about 40 feet up, so I climbed up there and cut down the branch only to have them cluster higher. Looks like this one is going to be a feral hive. I even placed a frame of open brood in the deep after I hived them and they still took off.

I went and got another swarm today, 5/23/07. I am gonna keep this swarm enclosed in a well ventilated nuc for a few days.

Collected a swarm today May 24, in a bush eye level (The PERFECT SWARM), nice size and they liked the box I gave them. Moved them this evening. 17543
    Jim

I picked up a swarm in Emmaus, PA 18049 on 5/22/07.

I picked up another swarm in Bethlehem, PA 18015 on 5/26/07.

May 29, 2007 around 2pm about 2-3 miles away from my house
    Gillett, PA 16925
    temps today were in the high 70's

Today I was driving down the road when all of a sudden my windshield was pelleted with something. I'm like WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT! Within seconds I realize that it was a swarm of honeybees!!! I was able to see where they were going but wasnt sure if they would be there later or not (I couldnt go after them right then). Hours later I went and found them right where I last spotted them. I talked to the lady of the closest house and she said that they actually swarmed yesterday just yards away from the original hive in her house. So I guess 1st (known) area swarm was on 5/28/07. I cut the branches and shook them off in a nuc which had drawn out comb. I took my daughter to take pics but she's not too fond of bees - when she was younger she was attacked by yellow jackets.

I went back around 8:30pm to bring them home but must be the 5 frame deep nuc is too small for them all!! They are still hanging all over the front and sides. They must feel "at home" because they are acting aggressive now - got me in the knee. Tomorrow I'll have to take bigger box along with my suit - bad thing is that I have to climb an embankment to get them out.

This is my very first swarm that i've seen airborne!! I have a pic of me when I was around 8 or 9 yrs old standing next to a swarm that had landed on a tree limb. And now 27-28 yrs later I have another pic of me beside a swarm.

I guess I'll double post this in the photogallery with pics
    Last edited by Dee; 05-29-2007 at 10:25 PM.

Default 5 swarms and counting!!!

I caught another very large swarm which was about 5 to 6 pounds in Warminster, PA 18974 on 5/29/07.

Default Swarms

I got two swarms on 6-6 and a good size swarm yesterday. I heard the queen pipng in the hive the night before so I was watching out for the swarm issuance!

My hive swarmed in June, 2007. Twice. 16423.
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

Smile swarm

First swarm of 2008.
    May 13
    zip 16262
    Three pound swarm.

Smile

Second swarm of the season today May 24, 2008 at zip 16262

I can't remember if I posted this earlier or not!

6/6/2008: Hive swarmed, landed in small tree. I'm short on equipment, so I gave swarm to a nearby beekeeper.

6/9/2008: Same hive swarmed again! This one went to the top of a tall arborvitae, then on to places unknown.

Lake City, PA (16423)
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

Smile Very small swarm

September 04, 2008
    We now have a good goldenrod flow.

Zip 16262

Default Harrisburg, PA 17070-- Swarm occurred

At Noon today, my one hive swarmed.

5/14/09 Perry Twp. Fayette County, Pennsylvania
    Temps in mid 60s, partly sunny.

First year beek, first swarm ever tackled. Did it alone cause mentor wasnt around and I couldnt let em go. Went well. Now if they will just stay

Didnt get it but Bee Inspector called and told me about it.

Dravosburg, PA. All he said was a nice sized swarm in a back yard. Weather was sunny, with moderate winds. Temps in the low to mid 60s throughtout the day.

a nice sized swarm in my trap 5 frame nuc. will pick them up tonight

zip 15237 date 5/27/09

Swarm about the size of a volleyball. Temps were low 60s in the morning to low 70s in the afternoon. Rained in the morning, cleared up at about 9 am. Bees were on a chain link fence, and were starting to build comb right there. Must have been desparate, didnt take much coaxing to get them in my hive body!

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

June 14, phila pa swarm caught

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast