Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Washington

Default Washington

May 18th - Swarm lands at my daughter's elementary school. Daughter duly notifies principal to call Dad. 5th grade boys take turns kicking and shaking tree until swarm falls, flies away - oh, wait. This thread is about the dates....
    May 18th, Sunny day in the 70s. Swarm time aproximately 2:00.
    http://www.voiceofthehive.com - Tales of Beekeeping and Honeybees

Picked up a swarm Saturday 7-7-2007, and caught one of my own today 7-10-07, 70's on Saturday, and low 90's today.

Default swarm

July 9th, and 12th..
    Woodinville Washington

Default Swarm

Picked up a swarm in Seattle. April 29th. About the size of a football. 98072

Default Washington

6/17/2008 - 3lb swarm with fat queen. 98033

My bees swarmed. Burbank, Washington. 99323. 100 deg day.

From one of my hives I split a week ago.... still swarmed.

Darrington, WA 98241
    July 14, 2008
    "Slow Down and Taste the Vanilla" - My Grandma

July 13 - 2lb swarm moved into a playground swing tube - 98033

Southwest Washington State:
    This year the bees semi-swarmed in late May, and split and swarmed in mid to late Jun. just before the floods in Mississippi last year.

Default 98225

First swarm call of the year whatcom county WA -- May 16th zip 98225 pollination swarm I believe

Quote Originally Posted by purvisgs View Post
    First swarm call of the year whatcom county WA -- May 16th zip 98225 pollination swarm I believe
    Im not going to say a hive has swarmed yet but i have capped cells at May 16th 98241 in Washington state.

I cut cells and other drastic measures.

Joe

2009 Package bees swarmed. These long cold springs sure get things swarming when the weather changes. I have some serious work ahead of me. Random checks througout the apriary.... lots of cups with eggs.

Darrington, WA 98241
    May 31, 2009

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Hi Batman,

Brushy Mountain sells a video/DVD that includes a method of drawing them out without cutting out the wall.
    If I remember correctly he had them use a piece of hardward cloth, made a little cone from it with enough of an opening to let the bees out, without allowing them to get back in again. This cone was secured via staples and or duck tape to the the opening the bees are using as an entrance. Another empty hive is standing by, so the bees unable to get to their home will go to the next one over. You'll need to had a queen if you can't catch the original one.
    I bought the video, and was pleased . I thought the money well spent. Good luck.

Walla Walla WA 3/27/10

Two swarms in neighboring yards.

Could be a swarm and an afterswarm, but one looked like carnis and the other italians.

http://pugetsoundbees.org/wp-content...0/04/photo.jpg
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 04-18-2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: image to large

Got my first swarm of the season this afternoon. Normal sized swarm, but had at least two queens. Temperature in the high 50s (these bees must be nuts). Of course my last swarm last fall was Oct 14 & it wasn't even that warm(actually I suspect that bunch had absconded from someplace, as they were a really small group & the yellow jackets wiped them out within a couple of days, even with a five frame box & a 3/8" hole for an entrance

May 2 2010 side of house under eve's Renton Washington. 3#

Picked up Swarm in Palmer, Alaska on 6/24/10
    Also in Petersburg, Ak. on 6/20/10

I am in Port Townsend Washington. My bees swarmed twice this week. One on monday(7/19), up a tree about 60 ft. Did not recover that one. Then it swarmed again today(7/22) my husband was able to catch this one.

Hi All,
    First year Beek here. I've been reading the postings in this forum for about a year now. I've really enjoyed all the information. Since I just trapped my first swarm, I thought I would also do my first posting. I'm located in Western Washington. My property has had a feral nest in a large Ash tree for years. I've watched them swarm 3 or 4 times over the years. This year, I put up a swarm trap (from Mann Lake) about 10 feet off the ground in another large Ash tree. There were no signs of bees a week ago last Sunday. This last Friday, I discovered major bee activity. I don't know if they are from the ones from my other tree or not. Friday evening, I brought it down and transferred the bees to a 10-frame I had set up earlier. Wow! I was amazed at how many bees were in that swarm! There were more bees there than in the 5-frame nuc of Caniolans that I had bought at the end of May.

These gals had already made four or five decent size combs in the trap already too. Even though it has only been a few days, it looks like they have settled in real well. Today, I had to remove the entrance reducer as they were so many of them coming and going.

The Carnies have been so gentle, that I got a bit spoiled. These gals are definitely a bit "hotter". At this point, I would like to wait a full week before my first inspection to give them time to settle in. Actually, I'd like to be checking it out right away, but I think it best if I wait.

I better wrap this up, but I wanted to thank everyone for all the great information in these threads. I know I still have a lot to learn, but I don't feel like a complete rookie anymore.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast