Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: North Carolina

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Removed a swarm that moved into the ceiling space of an apartment unit. Comb & sealed brood age maybe 2 weeks maximum. There were no emerged brood cells. Tons of bees that I had vacuumed into a deep with drawn comb & placed in a yard. Two days later maybe 10% were still there. Glad I made good coin on the removal.
    Same time frame gave me another swarm in a swarm lure box. Seems like plenty of bees & they have pollen & nectar coming in. Gotta bring it to a yard asap-never know if they will runn off.
    Both were in S.E. NC.
    Can we try & remember to include location in these posts?

3-8-2014 Richlands NC 60's nice swarm

caught two swarms today. very windy bees were getting blown all over the place. nice size swarms. double brood boxes full of bees and swarm cells. swarm catch boxes are up in trees. heard of several more swarms

two more swarms today, along with two yesterday

Got one yesterday and one today from the same colony. At least there my bees and I know the genetics. They have great genetics and have been very productive. I had just split out 3 frames of brood from this colony 3 weeks ago.

I had a swarm from one of my hives that I spotted yesterday just as they were balling up high in a tupelo tree. this was yesterday about 2pm and today over 24 hours they are still there - about 30 feet up - too high to climb. All my swarms in the past have moved on within just a few hours if I wasnt able to get to them. I put out a couple of 4 frame nuke boxes yesterday with drawn comb in them and put a couple more drawn frames in an old deep I let sit out - one of the nukes got some attention late yesterday as did the old deep box which had several scout bees exploring it, but now no activity in any of my swarm boxes. Is this normal for them to be out this long without moving into their permanent residence? Anyone have any experience capturing swarms high in a tree?

By the way, this swarm appears to have come from the mother hive of a split I made only about 2 months ago.

hi all the sourwood flow is on here at my house, even tho thay have room had two swarms today7-4-14 Hendersonville, north Carolina, 28739

March 29th. Feral colony hived. Appeared high in tree Friday. Got word they could not get to them due to height today at Church. went to see if they were still there and they had moved to the base of tree. Temps got in the 40's last two nights and low 50's today.

4/6- 4/9- 4/10/15. Lower NC, Robeson County. 80-85F Overcast turned to sunny & windy.

I got three after swarms from the same bradford pear tree an old neighbor has. They have a hive in the eave of their home that has had a hive in it for 3-4 years.
    All three swarms had virgins queens that I separated out and put in mating nucs and used some excess swarm bees in a starter.

Wilson NC
    Checked swarm traps April 21.
    2 swarms already bringing in pollen in my traps!

Default North Carolina

What is needed:

• zip code, city or county
    • date when the bees swarmed or when you found the swarm.
    • comments - example: if the swarm came from your hive, or if you were called to pick up a swarm, how long was it there. This is not for cutouts unless the bees just took up residence and are not established. It would also be great to include a small photo of the swarm.

This forum is not for general discussion.
    Regards, Barry

Default Re: North Carolina

Ok lets see if this will work here. 28401 is the zip code. The bees haven't swarmed but the queen cells I took out of 2 hives have been placed in 4 nucs as of todays date. These came from my hives and I didn't see the queen in either of the 2 hives, but both had capped queen cells and lots of drones. The hives were going to swarm in the next few days and still may swarm.

Well I walked outside and bees were everywhere. They landed in a holly tree and calmed down. I got my climbing gear and Woodward ready and they took off again. They went right back into their hive. 2 hours later they swarmed again. They are now in a new box building a new home. 28401

2 swarms at 28412 outside the southern city limits of Wilmington, 1 in a 10 frame deep and 1 in a nuc deep. The swarm in the nuc had been there 3 days. 1 at 28401 north of the Wilmington city limits, still in the tree. I am out of hive tops so I need to build one. I also need to build a mini-bridge over the mud bog to get to the swarm, It is a big one. It's been a busy bee day.
    Last edited by leadchunker; 03-28-2016 at 04:49 PM. Reason: added info

Chapel Hill, NC 27514

3-30-16 Very large swarm (2 deeps) moved into empty boxes. Sunny, 75 degrees

4-1-16 Large swarm (1 deep, 1 shallow) moved into empty boxes. Cloudy, 75 degrees

Both swarms were from an unknown source, but I have the feeling someone is missing lots of their bees.

Default Re: Today in the Apiary

Caught the first two swarms of this season. I think they are both from my hives. They go to the same general area not far from the original hives each year. I have a couple of 6-frame nucs (deep) that seem successful as bait hives, but today I was not patient enough too wait and see if they would go into them.

One real nice swarm in a trap, super nice day, will be checking the rest of my traps in the next few days. Its on

Swarm by my bee yard today. Noticed a hive bearding a bit more than usual. Went to get the weed wacker to cut the grass around the hives and there they were. Put them in a nuc box and cut the grass. Checked the hive they came from and pulled eight nice looking queen cells. I guess 2 supers wasn't enough so they now have 3. 2 of the queens came out on the way home so they went into cages to go into queenless hives. I gave all the other cells to a fellow beek. Wilmington, 28401, nuc box.

interesting.. save the bees.. kill the tree.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast