Page 104 of 117 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,080 of 2340

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Caught a swarm this afternoon a little smaller than a volley ball. Chillicothe, OH 45601

Southwest LA

8-3-13 softball size.

Little Rock, AR

Caught a swarm on the side of house today about football size.

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    Little Rock, AR

Caught a swarm on the side of house today about football size.
    my old stomping grounds. grew up in LR. late swarm....from the heat maybe?
    I'm the dude, so that's what you call me.

Town of West Monroe, Oswego County, New York, USA

Fall swarms are already starting here in upstate NY! Picked up this nice one yesterday afternoon... had been on the tree since Sunday night. Was 65'F, sun/clouds and windy. Baldwinsville, NY.
    1176403_10200943083513789_1547128858_n.jpg

My hive here in Central Virginia August 3, 2013. The hive was established this year.

Wild hive, swarm date: June 2, 2013, approximately 30,000 bees. This was a large swarm.

August 18, 2013 WI from my hive.

Arlington, Ohio. 8-25-2013. About the size of a soft ball. Just moved into an old top bar hive that is headed to the burn pile. Swarm was new as there was only a quarter sized bit of comb started.

Transferred them to a 5 frame medium nuc box. Going to feed them heavily and add some brood from another hive later in the week.

Top bar has been empty of bees for over a year. One can see what happens when left empty for that period of time. Surprised the bees even moved in.
    Last edited by FindlayBee; 08-25-2013 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Added Photo

Western Ky: 8-27-13 Caught a small swarm, about size of two softballs, Put em in a 5 frame Nuc and marked queen. They were on bottom of park bench, at an Elementary School. They were happy to get rid of em. I was glad to get em :-)

Saturday, August 31 in Pereau, Nova Scotia.

Went to a friend's yard, and heard bees above and beyond the yard's bees. Started looking around, and there was a big swarm about 20 feet outside his electric fence. Assumed it was his, but soon realized that it was only just arriving from somewhere else. There were tons of bees in the air, and it got bigger and bigger. We could see the direction they were coming from.

Swarm maxed out a 10 frame deep. Once we got it cleaned up, we could still hear bees in the woods. We looked around and soon discovered another swarm, about 50 feet up in a tree. Too high to get it, so we set up several swarm traps in the area. Fingers crossed now on that...

Fun afternoon.

Adam
    Last edited by Adam Foster Collins; 08-31-2013 at 09:08 PM.

I picked up a nice size swarm yesterday thanks to a phone call from my mother at our family camp, It was about the size of a basketball 35 feet up in a maple tree.

Sept 1st 2013...
    IMG-20130901-00527.jpg

At least I got them back...

9/1 about 11:00 Am one of my hives swarmed. Went to a tree about 25 feet away but 50+ feet up on a branch that's about 2-3" in diameter. No way I could get them. I put another swarm trap up, a few were checking them out, but between 3 and 4 this afternoon they were off. I watched them go away which was interesting, but sad. Coatesville, Pa.

September 2, 2013 in Northwest Alabama.

One of my hives swarmed Monday just after noon and I saw it. Large cluster (football, at least) landed in low branch of small tree 10' from hive. I grabbed nuc and caught the swarm. I now have 3 hives. Just posted a question in Swarm category because I'm a new beekeeper and want to make sure I'm handling all 3 hives correctly.

The hive that swarmed is still strong, in terms of sheer number of bees.

All right. Gonna play catch-up here. This is the year's data. I just recently started posting instead of just lurking so please forgive the old data.

Got two new hives March 19.
    First swarm May 13 - Caught the swarm. Now had three hives.
    Second swarm April 23 from second original hive. Did not catch that one. It flew away to help re-populate in the wild.

Got two new hives form a local keeper in Florida in May.
    First swarm from one of these hives in July 20. Did not catch this one either...I think we ended up destroying it. Was very bummed

Had another swarm on July 23 from one of the first hives purchased in May. This was the second swarm for this hive. Caught it and it's doing fairly well.

Unfortunately we have 60' pines and oaks around here and when a swarm happens it's always WAAAAAYYYYY up in the trees. My boys have braved life and limb (sorry for the pun) to get the swarms. The one we think we destroyed happened when we cut the branch and instead of it coming straight down it hit another branch and dislodged the queen. We never found her and the remainder of the bees flew around confused and eventually made it back to the original hive.... Very sad day for me. I felt like I did more harm than good.

9-7-13, 2 miles from 89512 zip code. mid size swarm in bush. easy capture but interesting story. I was actually 250 miles from this swarm in the midst of a conference when I got the call. Managed to step out for two minutes and coordinated others to gather the swarm. Returned to the conference and 4 hours later was informed I now have 21 hives in my back yard. We are now only 2 short of our goal for this year. That is beekeeping in free style.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

September 13, 2013. Mountain Brook, Alabama 35223. A swarm on the ground about 15 yards in front of my back yard hives. The pile was about 12 inches in diameter.

IMG_1339.jpg

I looked through the pile and found a marked queen from my strongest hive. I scooped her up and set up a nuc with the caged queen inside. The workers, who by then were congregating on the leg of a nearby sawhorse, marched into the hive.

IMG_1345.jpg

I released the queen two days later. I'm feeding the colony syrup and waiting for some pollen to be brought in before another inspection.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A "puddle swarm". Did the queen look especially plump/unable to fly?

The queen's abdomen was quite small when I caught her, but she looked OK otherwise. I would never have recognized her if not for the mark. When I released her two days later, her abdominal size had returned to normal.

Thanks for sharing the term for this kind of swarm.

Page 104 of 117 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114 ... LastLast