Thread: Alabama

Default Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    came home from work to find a small swarm in one of my traps, possibly a supercedure swarm from one of my hives. this is the first one i am aware of in my area.
    inspected the caught swarm today (day 5 after capture), and found only a little over two frames of bees with a queen, eggs, and some just hatched larvae. took them out of the 10 frame box and put them into a five frame box. if it thrives, i'll harvest some brood out of it to build up numbers in any other hives that swarm. the queen may come in handy too if she is any good.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

another small one today.

scottsboro, al.

September 2, 2013 in Northwest Alabama.

One of my hives swarmed Monday just after noon and I saw it. Large cluster (football, at least) landed in low branch of small tree 10' from hive. I grabbed nuc and caught the swarm. I now have 3 hives. Just posted a question in Swarm category because I'm a new beekeeper and want to make sure I'm handling all 3 hives correctly.

The hive that swarmed is still strong, in terms of sheer number of bees.

September 13, 2013. Mountain Brook, Alabama 35223. A swarm on the ground about 15 yards in front of my back yard hives. The pile was about 12 inches in diameter.

IMG_1339.jpg

I looked through the pile and found a marked queen from my strongest hive. I scooped her up and set up a nuc with the caged queen inside. The workers, who by then were congregating on the leg of a nearby sawhorse, marched into the hive.

IMG_1345.jpg

I released the queen two days later. I'm feeding the colony syrup and waiting for some pollen to be brought in before another inspection.
    Attached Images Attached Images

04/19/2014

scottsboro, al 35768

swarm issued from longest running colony (five years), caught and soon to belong to flatrockboy.

Default Re: First Wild Swarm

yesterday's first swarm of the year was followed by #2 and #3 today. i managed to coax one of them into a box, but the other one didn't stick around long enough to catch.

scottsboro, al
    1400' asl

coincidantly, the first swarm of 2012 happened on Easter Sunday.

I have two hives in my peach orchard that have swarmed 5 times since 3/29/14 including one yesterday. Luckily, they all stop temporarily on one of the peach trees which has allowed us to catch them all. My friend says I should split the hives, but for now letting them do their thing naturally and then putting the muntineers in new hives seems to be working pretty good. But, he's probably right. Next year, though, as some folks have also suggested, I think I'll reverse the brood boxes early on to hopefully minimize the swarming.

swarm-5-2.jpg
    Started beekeeping in 2013 and having a blast with my 12 small cell hives!!

Got our 1st,4-21-14 Easter,

4/24. 4/25. 4/26 and 4/27

Default Alabama

What is needed:

• zip code, city or county
    • date when the bees swarmed or when you found the swarm.
    • comments - example: if the swarm came from your hive, or if you were called to pick up a swarm, how long was it there. This is not for cutouts unless the bees just took up residence and are not established. It would also be great to include a small photo of the swarm.

This forum is not for general discussion.
    Regards, Barry