Thread: MAQS question

Default MAQS question

This is year 2 of keeping bees. Last year in my area, varroa mite counts were nearly non-existent. This lulled me into complacency this year, and mites in the area have been much worse. I got drop counts of between 29-80 (24 hour average) on the four hives in my apiary. This was early August. The honey flow was on, so I chose to put on MAQS as the treatment of choice. I expected significant mite mortality. This was mid-August when they went on. FYI, I run all mediums, so 3 brood boxes, and I put the two MAQS strips between box 1 and 2. I run SBBs with a slatted rack over it, then the brood chambers, honey supers, and I have top entrances. I also have a 3/8" hole on the front of each box, so lots of ventilation. I made no effort to close up any of the ventilation as the instructions made it sound like this wasn't necessary.

Yesterday, I completed the mite counts on 2 of the four hives. The mite counts came out at about 70 (24 hour average) in each hive. I was surprised to say the least. I would guess about 3 weeks had transpired from when the treatment was applied. I'm doing a mite count on the other two right now.

Is there any insight as to why I would get this result? Do I just need to reapply the treatment? Why would I see really no drop in mites (and an increase in the one hive) after putting this potent treatment in there?

Default Re: MAQS question

I think you had too much ventilation.

Sounds like you followed the instructions. Did you close off the screened bottom board? I'm running a MAQS treatment this week. Put them on Saturday (first day it has been below 90F all summer). I opened the entrances all the way and closed the SBB, I also put extra supers for the bees to have extra space. I checked the boards today for a 24 hour count and had mites everywhere on several hives (dead on the oil covered board). I have slatted racks also. I have read that 70 mites per 24 hours in August is about average (before treating) but your count should be lower (or close to zero). Not sure what happened. The instructions say you can retreat after 30 days. I plan on spot checking till cold weather gets here but you've got me stumped. I hope we get some more input on this.

I did not close off the SBB. I wonder if I should have. When I removed honey supers last week, I took the chance to go in and remove the spent strips also, and they were covered with dead mites. I'm sure had I closed off the SBB I would have seen mass carnage.

I panicked when my counts were the 29-80 (depending on hive) prior to treating. I'm panicking further getting 70 on the two hives after treating. My current plan is to treat again (I'll likely wait one more week to be sure I pass the 30 days).

Yes somewhere it says to close off SBB, I just done with mine a week ago.

This source quotes scientificbeekeper saying it's up to the beekeeper whether to close them off or not, but when I do it again, I'll definitely try closing them off.

http://datcp.wi.gov/uploads/Farms/pdf/MAQSTop10FAQ.pdf

Yea, I even closed up my upper entrances in both hive bodies of each hive, you're trying to make a chamber out of the hives,

The more closed off they are the better. Your fume % was really low because of the SBB. Try again. I think it is a bit late in the season though.

Here's an update. This week I repeated the treatments on all four of my hives, and I closed off the SBB and I closed off nearly completely the bottom entrance and the top entrances (had about 1-2" exposed was all). My point is these should have been gas chambers now, and in fact I worried the next day that I killed off one hive (lots of bees blocking the entrance and down on the ground, but as the day warmed up, many revived).

I pulled the bottom boards after 5 days, expecting to see mite carnage. There were lots of mites, but it appears to me about 5 days of drops, not mass carnage. There were a few hundred on each board only (and these hives had been dropping about 70/day). To verify, I did a quick mite drop check over the past 32 hours on one hive (they all look about the same). There were still 110 mites, or about 80/24 hour period.

So I've concluded this was a fail again. Is it possible I got a bad batch of MAQS, or is there any word of mites becoming resistant? My bigger concern now is that I've lost 5-6 weeks of treatment, I have very high mite counts, and I fear the hives may not survive.

Two questions: 1) Who can explain my failure of treatments, when I followed the instructions?
    2) What would you do now given hives with such high infestation rates and winter coming on. FWIW, we will still have some good days for about 5 more weeks, and then it's mostly clustering for the winter.