Default Swarm trapping/collecting etiquette

I have a couple of friends that are cherry farmers, this past spring I was getting calls every day over the course of two weeks for swarm sightings. I was able to collect 11 of them. Before I started collecting I asked if in the past they contacted the owner of the bees, they had and allegedly both had no interest in collecting them. Both pollinating services are from out of the area, one is out of state.... Anyhoo, I feel kinda guilty hiving a swarm 5' from someone elses hives, also both farmers mentioned that I could freely roam their orchards at any time searching for swarms as well as place swarm traps. As long as I took a shot gun with me and killed every starling i came across. The swarms I caught were only the ones that could be seen from the road so I am sure there were many more out of sight. I feel like I should at least contact the beekeeper and mention to him/her that I intend to catch/trap swarms next spring. BUT what if for whatever reason they say NO....thats not OK! Maybe they are some goofy save the world one bee at a time kinda person that is trying to populate the world with feral bees.... I dont know, but I do not want to loose my bee goldmine. I thought about placing 20 or so hives in each orchard away from the commercial guys hives so at least I could say they may have been from my hives? As you can tell I am slightly neurotic, probably should just trap the friggin bees and not worry about it. I have had nightmares of a toothless beekeeper with a mouth full of beachnut spitting on my boot "you aint from around here... is you" Like something out of the movie Deliverace, I am not real good at making pig sounds either...What say you. Any commercial folks with an opinion?ugly_redneck.jpgburt-reynolds.jpg

Default Re: Swarm trapping/collecting etiquette

The commercial guys near me do not go after swarms unless someone is paying to have it removed. Their business is renting hives for pollination and taking the honey.

I wouldn't worry about it in the slightest.
    I wish I had your opportunity. I have a shotgun, love shooting it, and would enjoy swarm trapping!

I wouldn't sweat it. I would think the landowner has rights to the swarms. Perhaps give the hive owner a call if that would make you feel better.

To better answer your question, we'll need the exact coordinate of these orchards and driving directions.

Sounds like you found 2 geese that lay golden eggs. Make sure you smile every time you hive one of those swarms and remember us poor folks who have to exert blood sweat and tears and a lot of gas money to get ours.