Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Picking up packages with public transit.........

I am "scheduled" to pick up my 2 new packages on Saturday between 7-9 AM. It is about a 45 minute drive from my home or a 45 minute heavy rail ride and 1/2 mile walk. I have a transit pass so there would be no additional cost for using the rail line. I called the transit customer service folks and they told me they only need to be in a secure container but that the operator can deny me for any reason they want. Has anyone ever taken packages on public transit, specifically heavy rail? Any suggestions on how to disguise my packages so as not to bring attention to my cargo yet still not harm the bees? Yes, I have a car and don't have to do it this way but I just feel like bending the rules a little and gas is expensive.

Default Re: Picking up packages with public transit.........

You don't want to restrict air flow to the packages. And, they will be buzzing. The bees shouldn't be able to get out of the boxes. But, that won't mean there will not be any straglers on the outside of the package.

What is plan B if the operator denies you?

Tom

I'd take the car ....

B. Animals.
    Other than a Service Animal, no person shall bring a live animal into or upon a Transit Facility or Transit Vehicle, unless such person receives permission from the Operator or Authorized UTA Representative to do so. In the event such permission is granted, such animal must remain in an enclosed carry-on, not obstruct the movement of passengers or UTA employees within the Transit Facility or Transit Vehicle, and not create a nuisance or disturbance within the Transit Facility or Transit Vehicle.

http://www.rideuta.com/mc/?page=Ridi...rdinanceManual
    Or have someone on "standby" with a vehicle that you can call if you get denied entry. All it takes is some other passenger to freak out.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Oh how fun. The lefties want us out of the cars so now we haul our packages on the bus or train. What a fun idea. I would want to do it just for the fun. I can imagine coming in with a hand truck and 20 packages of bee's. It would be great during rush hour I would not need to ask for a seat I bet. Worse case everyone would want to talk to me and that would suck also.

I dont mean to be evil it just comes naturally. Darn that they already have laws about it.

One of my customers that bought packages from me tool them home in his vanpool.
    Last edited by EastSideBuzz; 04-21-2014 at 09:15 PM.

Plan B is my wife at the ready to drive and pick me up. It may just be that my motivation is just to see if I get away with it. I asked for permission and wasn't told no. However, since the operator has complete control over the decision, I'm a little concerned.

Sounds like you are looking for trouble.

How old are you, BTW?
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 9 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

Get yourself a cardboard box and cut out a ton of 1 inch circle with a hole saw. The looky lous might hear the buzz but out of sight out of mind is best. Got a dog carrier with a rag draped across the front? If not find a friend that has one. Make sure the can is secure if the Box or cage has to much slack. Two options that will blow past the train operator and most other beeophites... Buzz Buzz

Shinbone: I'm 53. I'm not looking for trouble, but I am an advocate of the benefits of public transit and willing to use it for my benefit. I have been known to try to work within the rules. I did call to ask for permission and wasn't told no.

It's America, and for the time being, it's still a free country. I won't tell you what to do, but I will tell you what I would do. There is NO WAY I would take bees on any form of public transit. The way the liberal media is, the headlines will read something to the effect of, "Passenger brings deadly KILLER BEES on public transit."

If you do, please provide a link to the local news outlet so we can read the news story for ourselves. LOL

I might do it purely for the shock value, but not to take bees home that I wanted to keep.....

Sorry Brad Bee, but here in Salt Lake City, we have the right wing media that would have the headline "Passenger brings deadly KILLER BEES on public transit". With the adjacent story, "Passenger shot transporting honey bees by citizen worried about terrorist with bees".

i'd take the car besides you already put up the money to get the packages a few more dollars for fuel I think it's worth the money.i got my 2 packages and i was working 2 hours away staying near my job.so i spent the extra 60 dollars and loss of sleep to go home and install them.glad i did

Quote Originally Posted by mitchgobears View Post
    Shinbone: I'm 53. I'm not looking for trouble, but I am an advocate of the benefits of public transit and willing to use it for my benefit. I have been known to try to work within the rules. I did call to ask for permission and wasn't told no.
    You don't think your actions are going to scare the pants off your fellow passenger? Like others have said, do what you want, but it is stunts like this that give the beekeeping community a bad image.
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 9 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

No stunt, just getting my bees home and thinking about options to possibly be environmentally friendly. No sensationalism, no lawbreaking, no media coverage, just thinking of a different option other than using my own car if possible. I was looking for guidance and possible experience. If you feel that it is better for me, the bees and the public for me to transport in my own car just say that is what you believe. Having never transported live bees I was looking for advice. Thanks to those who provided advice. It looks like my private transportation would be the best option.

I understand the desire to be a responsible Earth tenant but in this case I would drive your own car.

Some people have an irrational fear of bees. A lot of people don't know the difference between a bee, wasp, hornet, or yellow jacket and lump them together in a negative manner. My first package came by USPS and despite the fact that they were more than half drowned from syrup the lady who called to let me know they had arrived was freaking out. I couldn't get there fast enough to suit her. I'm sure on a train full of people you would get a mix of reactions from curiosity to fear.

My bigger concern would be getting the bees home in good condition and the environment in your vehicle is within your ability to control whereas in the train if it is hot and stuffy there isn't much you can do.

The train might work out fine but with the fact that a package of bees is expensive and not easily replaced on late notice I wouldn't take the risk.

Whatever you do I hope it works out well and you are soon enjoying being a beekeeper.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchgobears View Post
    Sorry Brad Bee, but here in Salt Lake City, we have the right wing media that would have the headline "Passenger brings deadly KILLER BEES on public transit". With the adjacent story, "Passenger shot transporting honey bees by citizen worried about terrorist with bees".
    Nice! Lol

Different side of the same coin!

Quote Originally Posted by Colleen O. View Post
    My first package came by USPS and despite the fact that they were more than half drowned from syrup the lady who called to let me know they had arrived was freaking out.
    I bring a couple hundred of them back from CA every year. It makes a huge syrup mess in my truck when the pressure changes and it all squirts out. I cant imagine how upset the UPS people get having to clean up all that syrup off of the other packages in the truck.

When I got my bees last year my wife and daughter were with me. We were in a Suburban so we shared the passenger compartment with the bees. Even though they were prepared to bring bees home they were still nervous.

I kept getting questions like "what if one escapes and causes a wreck". Now times that nervousness by the 20-50 passengers that you will be sharing the compartment with and who were not prepared to do so. I am sure the operator will be thinking of that as well. Be prepared for the long wait for your wife or just save yourself the trouble up front. I personally hate that kind of hassle and will avoid it when I can.
    Clay
    BlakelysBees.com

Quote Originally Posted by EastSideBuzz View Post
    I bring a couple hundred of them back from CA every year. It makes a huge syrup mess in my truck when the pressure changes and it all squirts out. I cant imagine how upset the UPS people get having to clean up all that syrup off of the other packages in the truck.
    This was the USPS and she admitted she was deathly afraid of bees but yes, the leaking syrup was a huge mess. I bet you are right, there are probably a bunch of reasons they don't want them around. That is also another good reason to keep them off mass transit.

I like the idea of taking them on the train. If there weren't stragglers on the outside I would say it is a non issue & a lot of people would be fascinated. But, stragglers are the norm & with lighting on train those stragglers might head to nearest light/window. Then u can't get them back & stings become possible. If I had a couple nylon netting bags that could contain package & stragglers on outside of package, then I would be proponent.

Can't tell on mobile app where you are but some allergic folks might not be carrying their epi pen as they might not be expecting potential encounter with bees/wasps.

Wouldn't give up on idea though

I say go for it.
    If they give you a hard time tell them I said it's okay .
    I've been paying for it so you might as well use it.

http://reason.org/blog/show/utah-tra...ys-lobbying-is

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast