Thread: Amazing NUCS

Default Amazing NUCS

I started 10 nucs on June 15 as I worked in North Dakota, with the help of a commercial beek, on July 15 I made 5 more splits from the original 10for a total of 15 5frame nucs.
    On thursday I picked up the original 10 and brought them home 600 miles to Minnesota to evaluate and prepare them for winter .With help to get the 10 3story nucs in my pickup.
    Today I weighed them to feed as needed and was thrilled to find out these weights......for the 3story 5frame nucs...138; 141; 119; 98; 109; 138; 120; 111; 127; 136; I only added feeders to the 2 lightest hives...
    The other 5 splits are 2 boxes high and about 50#each,,
    So my original 20 frames of brood and bees have turned into 250 frames of comb brood bees honey and wax....and a total of 1480#,,,,I only provided the boxes and frames and foundation tops and bottoms.
    My hat is off to my mentor beek in ND who supplied me with great stock to start this adventure
    I might note that several times this summer I went to inspect the hives tto find the covers off of 2 hives in particular and one hive was tipped over at least twice,,,They are in a pasture with cattle who can use the hives as scratching posts I think these are the 98 and 109 # hives..
    The next hurdle is WINTER....I'm learning that if a person is persistant, and learns from mistakes---even a Knob can learn to be a Beek....

==McBee7==

Default Re: Amazing NUCS

...............I'll send you money, would you pick a lottery ticket for me?

Seems like you have done very, very well.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Thanks Lburou, I was definately lucky with these nucs,,,but not so lucky with some italian packages I started in april....
    My luck goes 2 ways so you might as well buy your own lottery ticket and say a prayer ..lol...

==McBee7==

Good work. That was a very productive summer.

"My hat is off to my mentor beek ... ."
    My hat is off to your pickup.
    Inscrutable little bugs.

Thanks Adrian,
    I was looking at your vidios on youtube to see if tthere was any info on weights and the only thing I saw was like 65# for a 2 story nuc in march was to light,,,,,Was wondering if you had a thread here or advice on weights to enter winter for both 2 and 3 story nucs. I would have liked to only have 2 storys but it is what it is, 3s are a little clumsy at over a hundred pounds for a guy with artificial knees lol...
    It wasnt pretty but I got the job done,,,,letting them down out of the truck was easier than putting them in,,,lol...

==McBee7==

Just curious, what kind of stock do you have, where did the queens come from?

welcome to beesource AbigJoak.....
    The bees are carniolian (sp) and the queens are Kona queens from Hawaii....The carniolians are known for being thrifty in the cold months and being bred in hawaii is the ideal climate to mate queens in...or so I'm told....At any rate these bees have not swarmed this summer even though they were very strong hives for nucs and have flourished, even in adverse conditions,,,,The Cows Remember!!!
    Actually when I picked up the hives to bring them home one of the nucs was upside down,,,Yes, go figure,,,,I think the farmer or one of my mentors beeks saw it tipped over and set it back up and rushed away and didn't notice it was upside down....very curious..I also know , once when the cover was off there was a thunder storm that soaked the hive, I also think the upset hives had some robbing going on to them....If nothing else, I will swear these hives are vigorus
    and in very good health, and mite free or at least mite resistant.....I intend to treat them going into winter to remove the mite factor going into winter and spring...

==McBee7==

wow sounds like a great year.

My goal is to get the 2 story nuc to weigh 70-75 pounds gross before October and the 3 story nucs to over 100 pounds. The difficulty is that I find there is a variance in my woodenware.
    There are a couple of difficulties I am still working on.
    I have found that in the spring there can be ice on the inside of the bottom of the boxes/bottom board. A person has to guard against thinking that the ice is useful stores.
    I find the weight of my empty boxes vary by 3 or 4 pounds in some cases - I could swear I didn't make them out of mahogany! I allow 25-35 pounds for the weight of my two story nucs depending on whether it is my light stuff or heavy stuff.
    The big variable is not the cold, but the onset of spring. If it is late then the colonies run the risk of starving before the first flows as in spring they start to burn up the stores at a high rate.
    I am hoping that as I get better at keeping records (year-after-year) I will build a set of data that helps me determine, how much, how, and when to feed the nucs to get them in optimal condition before spring. I am not there yet.