Thread: Wild Turkeys

Default Wild Turkeys

Has anyone had any problems with wild turkeys eating their bees. I just moved 3 hives to the farm and i have a good population of wild turkeys. I'm talking about them standing in front of the hives and eating them. I've been told they will.

Default Re: Wild Turkeys

Quote Originally Posted by Estell Tabor View Post
    Has anyone had any problems with wild turkeys eating their bees. I just moved 3 hives to the farm and i have a good population of wild turkeys. I'm talking about them standing in front of the hives and eating them. I've been told they will.
    I have a large wild turkey population here. They don't bother the hives at all.

My biggest issue with them is when they go over the garden fence and tromp all over the young seedlings.
    Zone 4a/b

never heard of that. no problems and lots of turkeys here. probably more computer nonsense.

No problem with turkey, chickens, geese or peacock. We also have pileated and flicker woodpeckers which are large. But no problem with them. The local deer, coyote and raccoon seems to ignore the hive also.
    Elev 407 ft 47.39 N, 122.15 W

Wild turkey vocalizations are the sound track of my spring bee-work - there are tons of them here on my farm. I have them roosting in the tall evergreens which are the windbreak about 10' behind my hive stands. I occasionally see their tracks in the snow in front of the hives in the winter and early spring. I have never seen them on the game cam that watches over my hive during the warm months. If they ate a few of the bees that died in the snow over the winter, they are welcome to them - the chickdees wion't be pleased about sharing, but otherwise it's fine.

My hives are up on 18" -22" tall stands, so not on the ground, Perhaps that makes the diffrence?

Enj.

Quote Originally Posted by Estell Tabor View Post
    Turkeys have never been a problem. Skunks and bears are a problem.
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

I've seen chickadees take honeybees but not turkeys.
    Turkeys here walk behind the hives instead of in front.
    Maybe smarter than they look...

I've never seen turkeys do that. Or chickens. I've had turkeys fly into the coop and eat scratch with the chickens though. I wouldn't worry about the turkeys....at least from what I've experienced.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I love wild turkey! But i wouldn't drink just prior to cracking a hive.....

Come on, everyone was think that!