Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by nursebee View Post
    Rossman likely sells the longest lasting woodenware with the cypress stuff. THIS IS THE BUSIEST TIME OF YEAR, so I'd cut them some slack. Looks like you got your stuff 2 days after your original post when they said it would not ship for another day or two.

Let's see if I got this right, you got a hive of bees without a smoker and got antsy to get in the hive? Perhaps your lack of preparation makes it easier to displace frustration?

Most of us have probably been in your shoes related to buying bee equipment at the last minute. Now if I have the time I drive to get the stuff far in advance of needing it.

Get connected with some other beeks in your area for support (and equipment borrowing).
    Please don't assume that I am hiding things from you guys for a smear job OK? The fact is that Rossman took 7 days to ship an order and told me I was too new to the hobby to know that that was completely expected in the Spring. I understand some of you guys seem to have personal feelings about it, but don't project them onto me. I understand this is the busiest time of year...but nowhere on their site did it say expect a week for shipping. If it did I would just have gone elsewhere. My "lack of preparation" didn't warp time. 7 days is 7 days.

I can post the series of email, but you know what? I haven't because I didn't think it would be fair to Rossman. I wasn't even going to mention it until someone brought up that it must have been an oversite when I knew well and good it hadn't been. I didn't set out to smear Rossman, but I don't want to give them some free advertising when I was treated shabbily. You like them? Go with them and be happy about it. The merchandise is excellent and packed well. But perhaps if you read this you will know not to order from them in the Springtime if you want the merchandise quickly. If you get "antsy", so to speak.
    Last edited by The Dregs; 05-19-2007 at 05:33 PM.

Rossman or otherwise, If I email an order in, I forget about it until it arrives. I don't count the days.
    If it is something I need now, I call it in and ask if it is in stock and when it will be shipped. If the answer isn't satisfactory, I don't place the order. Saves a whole lot of frustration and aggravation.

As for Rossman, I have never bought from him, but I have met him, and if I ever leave my regular suppliers, I will probably try him. I do like the man and the quality of his product.

Rossman usually ships next day or two when I order online.

I find it's almost the same price to order from dadant in high springs as to pay the sales tax from rossman. I had a bad problem with the high springs dadant substituting items when they were out. Without even asking me (even when i called in my order). (i'm talking different veils, wood quality, etc. Though Rossman may take an extra few days It's worth the wait (especially for cypress woodenware)

Default Rossman

I find that their hive bodies do not hold up really well even though they are made with Cypress. The rabbet joints seem to fail more readily than the box joint woodenware that I use most often. I wish they would get away from the rabbet jointed boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeAware View Post
    I find that their hive bodies do not hold up really well even though they are made with Cypress.
    Interesting. I have a number of them that are ancient and they continue to hold up very well.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Mine are the best I have ever had. The wood is great, the price even better. Maybe some don't know how to take care of their woodenware.

Disclaimer....I don't really own anything from Rossman's. But to offset the negative side of some who just seem to harp about everything in a negative manner, I will be adding a positive comment from time to time. Everyone knows a happy person, and one who has positive experiences with vendors are much more likely to say nothing. On the other hand...an unhappy person, will much more likely complain, harp, whine, and harbor ill-will for a very long time. I ask you fellow beesource members...IS THIS FAIR? Stand up, against this small minority of "trollers" that take pleasure bad mouthing everybody and everything.

This has been a public message from your local chapter of "PBANB".

I will also be willing to personally mentor a few beekeepers who, for just some unknown reason, can't buy a product or get a supplier to ship anything correctly. Yes, thats right...get great personal customer service from that next phone call, get your order shipped on time, be happy with your next box of beekeeping goodies you receive in the mail. First lesson and counseling absolutely FREE! Only thing required is a great positive outlook and a smile.

Call today!

Have a good day....

Default Good info on the joint types...

Quote Originally Posted by BeeAware View Post
    ...The rabbet joints seem to fail more readily than the box joint woodenware that I use most often. I wish they would get away from the rabbet jointed boxes.
    That's good info, especially for those of us who are experimenting with building some of our own equipment. At least it's helpful for me.

Cheer up guys, look at the good in people.

Quote Originally Posted by BjornBee View Post
    Mine are the best I have ever had. The wood is great, the price even better. Maybe some don't know how to take care of their woodenware.

Disclaimer....I don't really own anything from Rossman's. But to offset the negative side of some who just seem to harp about everything in a negative manner, I will be adding a positive comment from time to time. Everyone knows a happy person, and one who has positive experiences with vendors are much more likely to say nothing. On the other hand...an unhappy person, will much more likely complain, harp, whine, and harbor ill-will for a very long time. I ask you fellow beesource members...IS THIS FAIR? Stand up, against this small minority of "trollers" that take pleasure bad mouthing everybody and everything.

This has been a public message from your local chapter of "PBANB".

I will also be willing to personally mentor a few beekeepers who, for just some unknown reason, can't buy a product or get a supplier to ship anything correctly. Yes, thats right...get great personal customer service from that next phone call, get your order shipped on time, be happy with your next box of beekeeping goodies you receive in the mail. First lesson and counseling absolutely FREE! Only thing required is a great positive outlook and a smile.

Call today!

Have a good day....
    Cool Bjorn, cool.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Default Boy Scout Motto: BEE PREPARED

In my personal opinion,

Great thread and educational.

Wheres the beef? 1 week? It normally takes that long for intertransit shipping depending on where you live. I don't think its fair to slam a good company who ships in a reasonable amount of time. If you can't handle 1 week then there are plenty of other companies to buy from.

I think you should consider that you may have needed something you didn't plan on and got caught with your pants down. Sorry but sometimes you get stung in the buttocks when this happens.

A simple remedy to all of this: when in doubt or if you NEED it urgently, ASK!

If you don't get the confirmation of shipping and know its on its way then ASK again.

And a great thread indeed, because in any live animal keeping, or plants for that matter...........the rule is:

Keep spare equipment stocked in case of emergency.

BEE PREPARED

I would think receiving an order 7 to 14 days after it being received by a company would be normal. Anything sooner would be GREAT. But don't expect it all the time.

Smile

Rossman's has done extra-fine by me. Love their product and will continue to buy from them in the future... They were quick in shipping and I even got a new catalog this year in very timely fashion.

Smile

Have picked up bees, queens at Rossmans. Also, have ordered equipment

on line and by phone. No problem here!

Placed an online order with Rossmans this past weekend and called them Monday to be sure they received it. They did indeed and UPS was here today just 4 business days later. The Cypress mediums are very good quality and a great price too. Awesome experience...they have my business from now on!
    I am very pleased. Thanks Rossman's!

Default Ordered 2 queens

I ordered 2 queens online on Sunday the 8th. Received them on Friday the 13th and the package says they were shipped on the 9th. I am very well pleased and they look great.

Tim Goodin

I've never had anything other than top notch service from Fred and the gang at Rossmans!!

I've had some downright awesome queens from him. I'm not using em anymore. Not because of the bees. If I need Italians again, I wouldn't hesitate to call em back!!

I typically don't order to much from them. I live in GA and have to pay state tax on purchases from them. Where I can typically buy and have shipped from Mann Lake or others and still come out better. Yet I still order from them on occasion.

Not to mention, they were an absolutely superb host for our GBA spring meeting this year.

I wouldn't hesitate for an instant to buy from them!!

I've never had anything less than superb service from Rossman's and I buy a lot of stuff from them. I don't like paying the tax, but I can drive there in two hours and pick everything up and save all the shipping -- especially on the heavy items.

The GBA spring meeting was a huge success. It will be hard top that one.

The way I see it if you buy the equipment to house the bees you should buy the stuff to open it up at the same time. If you don't have enough money then wait till you do that way you do not get caught with your pants down. I'm sorry if that is insulting but it should be common sense newbie or not.

I had a great experience with Rossmans. I ordered online and received the hive in 5 days! I would say they are fast to ship...
    There is no greater satisfaction than the satisfaction of a job well done.

Angry Disappointed with supplier

I placed an online order last Monday (July 16th) morning with a supplier located about a two hour drive away.

On Wednesday July 18th they hit my debit card for the order and shipping. I called to check status and was told my order was "next" and would be sent "tomorrow or Friday." The person I talked to did not mention a backorder or any other problems.

I can check order status online and it appears the order has not shipped yet as of today, July 22. Seriously, at least a week to get a small order out the door? :mad:

At least don't take my money until the stuff leaves the dock... :mad:

Are my expectations out of line? Just in case they are I didn't mention the supplier. I intend to call Monday and cancel the order and check out Rossman instead... :mad:
    Kevin
    Milton Township, Michigan (near South Bend, Indiana)