Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rossman Apiaries: slow to ship?

I placed an order for a super and a smoker with Rossman last week and I noticed that I never got an email telling me it had shipped. I called them today..they said it won't ship for another day or two. Is it normal to wait a week or so for orders to ship with online bee supply dealers. Seems like it's uacceptably long to me.

Doggone if I know what's typical for online orders in the bee supply world. I'm betting that most are 'mom and pop' shops and their online systems are not as automated as those of big retailers.
    With Rossman and other bee supply outfits I always order by phone and usually get a very good response.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

I find Mann Lakes prices to be comparable to most, if not cheaper. They also send a confirmation email within minutes, a follow up email the next business day and so far, I had had all my orders arrive within 7 days. Wonderful service and the shipping is a lot cheaper than places like betterbee.

My experience with Kelly's, which is the only supplier I have ever ordered from, is 2 to 3 days for receipt of shipment notice then 2 to 3 days later UPS is knocking on my door. I have an order in transit now from Kelley's, ordered on May 9th suppose to be at my door May 15th, according to UPS tracking info.
    Last edited by nsmith1957; 05-14-2007 at 07:38 PM.

I've always had great service from Rossman's. Usually shipped the next day. Ann Rossman runs the business office very efficiently, and is always pleasent to deal with.

Yeah, I am really disappointed. I just got my first hive and I wanted to open it up last weekend. I knew it was a long shot, but I was hoping. now it looks as if I won't be able to open it this weekend either. All this from a dealer who lives pretty close to me.

I ordered from Rossmans, some cypress NUC's last fall or maybe it was winter. I was really pleased with the quality, and shipping. I wouldn't worry about it too much...

Both Mann Lake and Dadants, (Watertown, WI) will ship the same day if the item is in stock and the order is placed in the morning. I usually recieve orders placed with either of them the next day.
    Sheri

I almost went with Dadant, but I decided Rossman because it was local. Live and learn! i did get my stuff today, though. Too bad it's too ugly outside to go into the hive. The bees are in a really bad mood today. My wife took a pic of their hive and took two headbutts.
    Last edited by The Dregs; 05-17-2007 at 04:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK and Sheri View Post
    Both Mann Lake and Dadants, (Watertown, WI) will ship the same day if the item is in stock and the order is placed in the morning. I usually recieve orders placed with either of them the next day.
    Sheri
    Lapp`s ship the same day too!
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

We had just finished designing and printing their latest catalog and I drove over to pick up my two bee orders early on a Saturday morning. That place was buzzing! (small pun intended) People were lined up to get bees, equipment, calling for directions, etc. And all the while the staff was very helpful, cheerful, etc. Ann and Fred are as nice and down to earth as they come (and yes Ann DOES run the office - as she let me know ) and strive to accomodate everyone. I would like to believe that if your order was delayed it was an unfortunate oversight as it doesn't seem to be the way they do business.
    Just my opinion from having done business with them. I wouldn't burn any bridges over this and you may want to give them another chance in the future to prove their worth.
    No matter where you go, there you are.

Unfortunately, it wasn't an oversite. I emailed them asking why it was taking so long and I was informed that since I was new to the hobby I was obviously unaware that shipping could take a long time in Spring, and that if I wanted stuff in time I had better order earlier.

It was a rather heated discussion that took placed after I made this thread. I personally won't ever use them or reccomend them to anyone again. Especially now that I found out that other companies offer same day shipping in the Spring and that the attacks on my noobness were unwarranted.

Did they know about the thread or did you tell them? I like feedback like this myself.. So far I have ordered from Mann Lake, Betterbee and Brushy Mountain. All have been great and arrived within a week.

Not unless they read the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dregs View Post
    Not unless they read the forums.
    They're busy and no doubt don't have time for forums. Perhaps you should tell them the thread is here - send them the link. Although this thread hasn't changed my mind about doing business with them.
    - Ann, a Gardening Beek

Quote Originally Posted by The Dregs View Post
    Unfortunately, it wasn't an oversite. I emailed them asking why it was taking so long and I was informed that since I was new to the hobby I was obviously unaware that shipping could take a long time in Spring, and that if I wanted stuff in time I had better order earlier.

It was a rather heated discussion that took placed after I made this thread. I personally won't ever use them or reccomend them to anyone again. Especially now that I found out that other companies offer same day shipping in the Spring and that the attacks on my noobness were unwarranted.
    Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully you have found a company you're comfortable with and the rest of your equipment needs goes smoothly. This is how retail companies learn that while it may be their name on the door, ultimately the consumer is the boss.
    No matter where you go, there you are.

Rossman is a good company. They have the best inner covers on the market! However, they are a very small company. The advantage that they have over other companies is their flexibility. I can talk directly to Fred Rossman, get special equipment made, get mistakes corrected, etc.

Fred has two new women answering the phone who do not know the beekeeping business, so I would cut them some slack. I liked it better when Ann or Fred answered the phone, however. Talk to Fred if you have a problem. He has always solved my problems, unlike the owners of other firms.

If you need equipment in a hurry, I would go with one of the larger companies. The larger companies have equipment ready to ship in their warehouse. I do not think that Rossman stockpiles that much equipment. They pretty much make it as you order it. I usually place my orders in November and December when they are not busy.
    Last edited by JC; 05-18-2007 at 08:54 AM.

Wink Rossman

I have found that when I have to get on the phone about my order it is to late.That is I'm already Reved Up.Also there could be things that prevent them from helping me in a timely manner.I learned years ago especially with bees and supplies to think ahead way ahead.I try to order my stuff way before I need it.Now with Queens that has been the hardest for me because the Mailman has a low IQ and my last three orders arrived very dead.So I have learned to have them overnighted with the delivery time in the morning and I sit outside and wait if they aren't there by the time they are supposed to be I call and start complaining to the post office I have had postmen say they tryed to delivered but couldn't when I was sitting outside and waiting.So it is always better to have your own solution in place when ever possible.
    kirko
    I like bugs

Rossman likely sells the longest lasting woodenware with the cypress stuff. THIS IS THE BUSIEST TIME OF YEAR, so I'd cut them some slack. Looks like you got your stuff 2 days after your original post when they said it would not ship for another day or two.

Let's see if I got this right, you got a hive of bees without a smoker and got antsy to get in the hive? Perhaps your lack of preparation makes it easier to displace frustration?

Most of us have probably been in your shoes related to buying bee equipment at the last minute. Now if I have the time I drive to get the stuff far in advance of needing it.

Get connected with some other beeks in your area for support (and equipment borrowing).

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Ann View Post
    Although this thread hasn't changed my mind about doing business with them.
    Ann, you've got that right, I would buy from them in a nano-second, having had great luck with them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast