Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Package Dealer Problems CCD Related?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  David Stewart 
#1 ·
First of all I don't want to and won't speculate that my package dealer has any CCD related problems - I've not heard anything to that effect yet. However, I'm waiting on some packages from a dealer that sounds like they may have fallen behind other dealers in their area.

I just wanted to pose the question - are any of you aware of package dealers that have experienced CCD-related losses, and do you know of any dealers whose delivery schedules have been significantly delayed becuase of their losses? The dealer I'm waiting on is a little more than a month behind, but becuase of "Nature-related" problems.

I realize the reluctance of many to admit CCD problems - this could be bad for business. I guess I'm not looking for specific names, I was just curious to see if others are thinking that this could be a problem, and whether it has impacted our delivery dates. I know my bee supplier supplies other bee dealers, so I wonder if maybe they're just servicing these resellers and falling behind on their individual customers. We've all known that CCD could affect us even if our bees didn't have it, I'm just wondering if this is another case.

#4 ·
Could just as easily be a business decision.....Scenerio: A large commercial beekeeper suffers losses from CCD and calls up his "buddy" who happens to be a supplier asking if he can come up with oh say 500-1000 packages extra to replace his CCD losses. The supplier has to make a quick business decision. Do I (a) honor my prior committments to hobbiests who are requesting a couple of packages or (b) feed the commercial operator who has the ability to steer some more large volume orders my way? The total number of packages to be produced may be the same #, it's just in the marketing and dealing direct with a single buyer -vs- going through a broker or dealing with many individual buyers. Also have to factor in all costs (shipping multiple packages to multiple destinations and those associated risks -vs- a large truck backing up to my dock and taking the entire shipment (and alot of the liability for dead queens etc....)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.