Default Kill a 1 year old Queen?

It was suggested that I requeen my hives to prevent swarming. I got two Russians from fatbeeman. I found 1 of my overwintered Queens in the super laying a good pattern. I could not bring myself to killing her. I placed her and all the brood from the super into a shallow and made her a hive. The new Russian is laying eggs already in the old hive. The other Russian Queen went into a split. I can not see destoying what appears to be a great laying, healthy Queen. I reduced the photos as much as possible.

"To bee or not to bee"

I have not got to that point yet, but my intention is going to be to place the old queens into a nuc. That way I can re-introduce her if I need to and if not, then the nuc can draw out comb or produce brood for the other hives..

Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    I have not got to that point yet, but my intention is going to be to place the old queens into a nuc. That way I can re-introduce her if I need to and if not, then the nuc can draw out comb or produce brood for the other hives..
    EXACTLY what I thought!
    "To bee or not to bee"

for me, when it is time to requeen, I pick out the colonies that have spotty brood patterns. If she is laying nicely, than I will keep her or make up nucs depending on my needs.

My best queens are 3 years old right now and doing fine.

Here's a seven year old queen:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesbetterq...#Queen%20Alice
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF