Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bandwidth hog

Sounds great, if I can ever be of assistance let me know.

I am glad we now know the root of the problem, I think the posting of pics is great.

Its good that the board is growing, that is what is purpose is to share info.

Thanks for all your hard work Barry.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I will setup an image guideline with restrictions so we don't get images that overly large to view. I thought people would do this on their own, but guess not.
    It good to here that everything is worked out.

As for the size of the images people post, what is too big? I downsize all my pictures to 800x600 (before they are 2816x2112). I use thumbnails on my blog that link to 800x600 images, so I already have my pictures uploaded to photobucket that size. Here I have posted thumbnails linking to 800x600 images and also posted the full 800x600 image. I figured that 800x600 was an ok size. Most people I know run their monitors at 1024x768 at least, so 800x600 doesn't seem to big to me. Was I wrong? Do people want them smaller than 800x600? Then again, I could just be strange...I don't remember seeing any pictures that I thought were to big. I like them big.

I think 840 x 600 should be plenty big for viewing. I'm okay with that.

- barry

I usually resize to 800x600. Everyone should be resizing their pics in consideration of our dial-up comrades .

A free image program is Irfanview. You can easily reside images with it. Another free, opensource program I've just found (not played with yet) is Paint.net.

Microsoft offers a PowerToy for Windows XP called Image Resizer. This PowerToy enables you to resize one or many image files with a right-click. Haven't played with that one yet, either, but I'm told it's easy to use.
    - Ann, a Gardening Beek

It may just be the CCD publicity has caused a lot of traffic. I was talking to Dee Lusby about how many new members are on the organics group and that got me thinking so I checked the stats on my web site. In the last 10 days the traffic has increased by 7 times as much. I went from about 550 or so hits a day to 4000.

Maybe you just have more interest in bees.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Ann View Post
    I usually resize to 800x600. Everyone should be resizing their pics in consideration of our dial-up comrades .

A free image program is Irfanview. You can easily reside images with it. Another free, opensource program I've just found (not played with yet) is Paint.net.

Microsoft offers a PowerToy for Windows XP called Image Resizer. This PowerToy enables you to resize one or many image files with a right-click. Haven't played with that one yet, either, but I'm told it's easy to use.
    If all you want to do is resizing, photobucket.com makes it really easy. If you are hosting the photos there, they have a setting you can choose that automatically resizes your photo when you upload. I have mine set to resize everything to 800x600 automatically when I upload.

If you want to use your own software to resize, another free possibility is GIMP. Its free (open source) and does a whole lot more than resizing too. I have access to Adobe Photoshop at work but still always have GIMP around. It does some things I can't get photoshop to do nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I went from about 550 or so hits a day to 4000.
    Sorry for that

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123