Question Bee-o-Pac or Pac-o-Trouble?

I'm toying with idea of puting on a super of Bee-o-Pac frames this seaon. Anybody try these things yet? $40 isn't much to give it a try but I don't want to waste a summer of chasing the easy money that doesn't appear.

Michael

Search the archives. You'll find lots of advice.

I like the product, but not enough to put up with the flimsy and wasteful system.

Thanks Patrick. I think I'll give them a pass this year. I am looking forward to the lilacs blooming and would rather capture the flow the old fashioned way than take a chance in missing it. It read alot about SHB. Have you had much trouble with them in your neck of the Hudson Valley?

None. I have yet to find a SHB.

I am going to set 3 case's this year if we get a flow this year

Cool

I tried one super of bee-o-pac last year with no luck, this year i alternated a frame of foundaion with the bee-o-pac and they are building things nicely, no problems yet.

Nathan

I am thinking of adding a small coat of wax to the bottom of all of the frames to help them get started. If we dont get a flow on soon I wont have any honey at all this year

I tried 2 supers worth, have a couple cases left. In a solid year, the bees finally filled 3 sections out of both supers and the hive beetles had a ball. I put the 3 sections in the freezer, threw the rest of the bee-O-Pac frames in the yard.
    Banjos and bees... how sweet it is!

If You Paint The Bottoms With Wax They Will Take To It Faster/better.

I've used them for three years, and I'm fairly happy. Getting them produced is the hard part. They sell like crazy at the Farmer's Markets.

My current problem is how to get them to fill out both sides evenly. Usually, as the two halves face each other, one is a little convex and the other a little concave. The difference makes the covers fit funny.

Having also used the old fashioned section boxes, I've rigged up some roofing tin to fit between the sections of Bee-O-Pac frames. It also keeps those little buttons from failing to line up and keep the sections equally distant from each other.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725