Default Picture taking help request

I came across a colony with multiple eggs in a cell cup today, a sign I take to be of a worker laying eggs that will go on to become drones. I brought the hive home to take some pictures but find that I am unable to get the photo to show the detail I want. I am using a Olympus Stylus 300 digital, I think it does 3x-5x. I set it on macro mode, highest resolution. White plastic foundation, 1-2 year wax meaning it was somewhat dark but not black. If the flash was on it made it made things too light. Flash off too dark. I tried shining a flashlight on it but no good. Am I trying the impossible with my camera?

I had some comb with eggs in it that I wanted to take a picture of and ran into the same problem as you. I ended up taking the comb out into direct sunlight so that I could do it without a flash but plenty of light. It ended up working ok. I would guess that your camera should be able to do it, its probably a matter of getting the right light.

Default getting the right light

If your flash has an adjustable power level, you might try setting on 1/2 or 1/4. In the past, I've taped a frosted plastic cup over the flash to make the light weaker. Another possibility would be using a higher number f stop to let less light in. I'm not really familiar with that brand but those are things I can do with the pentax I have. Another possibility is without the flash in good light with a large lens opening (smaller number) like 2.8, but that limits your field of focus. One other thing I've done before to get more light on a small subject in the daytime is use a small mirror to reflect some sunlight onto the subject. Hope this is helpful. As a last resort, check the manual. They usually have a trouble shooting section for different situations. B.B.

When you buy your next camera keep in mind that larger lenses let in more light.
    Once you see the bandwagon, it's too late.
    www.goldfinch-acres.com