Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

NY State Apiary Legislation?

7K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  sqkcrk 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if this is a rumor or a fact that the State Legislature is considering a bill that would require Apiary Registration and that all hives would have to have the beekeepers name, address and phone number on them?

Thanks.

#2 ·
The NY State Senate Committee did meet on Monday. Here's the bill.

S4334 YOUNG
Agriculture and Markets Law
TITLE....Relates to beekeeper and apiary surveys

04/09/07 REFERRED TO AGRICULTURE
05/01/07 1ST REPORT CAL.717

IN SENATE

April 9, 2007

Introduced by Sen. YOUNG -- (at request of the Department of Agriculture
and Markets) -- read twice and ordered printed, and when printed to be
committed to the Committee on Agriculture

AN ACT to amend the agriculture and markets law, in relation to beekeep-
er and apiary surveys

The People of the State of New York, represented in Senate and Assem-
bly, do enact as follows:

1 Section 1. Section 173 of the agriculture and markets law is amended
2 by adding a new undesignated paragraph to read as follows:
3 The commissioner may cause surveys of beekeepers and apiary yard
4 locations within the state to be conducted for the purpose of assessing
5 the size and condition of the state's honeybee population. When
6 requested by the commissioner, beekeepers shall disclose the location of
7 their apiary yards and provide any other information required for such
8 surveys. Department records containing information relating to beekeep-
9 ers including, but not limited to, apiary yard locations, shall be
10 considered confidential and not subject to public disclosure, except
11 that such records shall not be deemed confidential as deemed necessary
12 by the commissioner to implement the purposes established within this
13 article. Each beekeeper shall post his or her name, address and tele-
14 phone number in a conspicuous place at each apiary yard location.
15 § 2. This act shall take effect immediately.

EXPLANATION--Matter in italics (underscored) is new; matter in brackets
[ ] is old law to be omitted.
LBD09595-01-7

#5 ·
Aw shucks peggjam, legislation goes on whether inspectors are at work or not. They have to get things in place, don't they?

After reading the bill a couple of times it appears to me as though this is something that strengthens already existing law. There are beekeepers who don't tell inspectors where their bees are, some for good reason I suppose. There was one in particular two years ago who didn't register his locations and it turned out that after he did some were found to be AHB.

Basically it's contrary to NY State Apiary Law to impead the duties of the Commissioner of Agriculture as they pertain to diseases and pests of honeybees. This bill, from how I read it, states that and makes it so that you have to identify the owner of the apiary.

The posting of my name, address and phone number will be an extra expense, but other than being "conspicuous" there was no mention of how big a sign I would need to post. Would it have to be big enough to read from 100 ft., 20 ft., or what? I'm thinking about something the size of the side of a deep hive body. Maybe the Apiculturalist will come out w/ a recommendation. Maybe Ag&Mkts will come up w/ something that we fill in ourselves.

#6 ·
Rather than make more laws, they should set up and fund the inspectors to enforce the one's we already have on the books...but maybe this will force the Amish to get inspected, if and when they do have inspections....:rolleyes: .

#8 ·
I don't know...I talked to Peter Borst (I think that's how you spell it) who started with the state inspection service last year, and he said they hadn't called anyone back yet. He did come down and we went through a few hives today.....the first he has opened all year:confused: . I don't mind having an inspection service, but it really needs to be funded, and apply to everyone equally:) .

#12 ·
I don't know...I talked to Peter Borst...
Peter Borst is quite the knowledgeable inspector. I really enjoyed him going through my yards last year. I learned a lot and appreciated his insight so much, that I wrote to Robert Mungari director of the NYS apiary program via email to put in a good word for Peter, but his web address didn't work and the email was kicked back to me. I followed up via USPS but never heard a thing...which is fine.

#13 ·
The State of NY is waiting until after the State Apiculturalist has been hired to start the inspection season. They want the Apiculturalist to hire his/her own inspectors.

Being a seasonal position, the inspectors usually depend on Unemployment Compensation to carry themselves through the off season. At this late date there isn't enough time left in the season to ecrue enough weeks to qualify for Unemployment Compensation. Some of the inspectors are looking for other work.

The lack of fore thought in regards to the inspectors is not a surprise to me. Maybe this is a bureaucratic glitch?

#16 · (Edited)
I recently exchanged e-mails with Bob Mungari. They are not hiring back inspectors until they have filled the State Apiarist Position. Jeff, Peter did an exceptional job for us last fall as well. You should let Mr. Mungari know that as I hope he gets hired back. He knows his stuff, very conscientous about queens and show ups when he says he will Seems honest too. After years of problems trying to get inspections done he turned my opinion around in short order.

Jeff, go to the NYS Ag. Mkts website, visit the plant/insect page and run your e-mail attention Robert Mungari, that's how I got through.

As far as the bill, I don't have a problem identifying hives but signage isn't likely. They can use registration to locate yards.

#19 ·
sqkcrk

no they can inspect elseware!
i don't trust a state trained bee inspector.
first,foul brood is spread by contact w/infected bees and or equiptment. fire is the only ny approved cure.
each time an inspector opens a hive they clean thier tools w/alcohol this will not kill the spores,so who are they trying to fool?
now if it will kill the spores why do we burn hives?
bob

#21 ·
no they can inspect elseware!
i don't trust a state trained bee inspector.
first,foul brood is spread by contact w/infected bees and or equiptment. fire is the only ny approved cure.
each time an inspector opens a hive they clean thier tools w/alcohol this will not kill the spores,so who are they trying to fool?
now if it will kill the spores why do we burn hives?
bob
That's your choice. You have the right to refuse inspection by a state inspector. You apparently don't feel the need for an inspection. What about your neighbors bees? Should they be inspected?

You may want to talk to peggjam and Joel about the other benefits to knowing your local apiary inspector. There are some good ones, knowlegable ones. Sometimes it's just nice to have someone to talk bees with.

I agree that AFB is spread w/ infected equipment. There are other things necessary for an infection to take hold. I'll probably catch h___ for this, but I would maintain that even if an inspector never washed or otherwise cleaned their hive tool that the possible number of AFB spores that that would spread would not be enough to regenerate the disease.

I know no one, maybe there are some who do, cleans their tool w/ alcohol. But even if they did they would be removing anything contagious. What do you sterilize your hive tool, smoker and hands w/ after working your colony or colonies? Do you sterilize your hands after using the toilet?

Believe what you want, the exposure to infectious spores from an Apiary Inspector is next to zero.

#22 ·
sqkcrk

you may be right.our old inspector was a friend to all bee keepers and his help was appreciated.my main objection is that our new inspectors have little training. how can they know much of any thing?
next complaint is the addatude,mine called and demanded the location of my yard and "be there xxx day at xx"! not likely!
we met in sc for dinner and i realize that your approch would be differant,you have manners.
it's nice to talk with you again.
bob

#23 ·
my main objection is that our new inspectors have little training. how can they know much of any thing?
next complaint is the addatude,mine called and demanded the location of my yard and "be there xxx day at xx"! not likely!
we met in sc for dinner and i realize that your approch would be differant,you have manners.
it's nice to talk with you again.
bob
We did? You'll have to remind me. Were you w/ Ken Stone?

"new inspectors w/ little training"? I started out that way myself and w/ the kindness and patience of New York beekeepers I grew to know more than I once did. So be patient and understanding of someone who is willing to do such an insecure job. One never knows whether there will be a job next season or not. If that changes we will have better inspectors applying for the positions.

But if you know anyone who is qualified to inspect beehives, is willing to do so seasonally and collect unemployment compensation during the off season (w/ out insurance for 6 months), is willing to travel distances to work w/ their own vehicle, knows diseases and pests of honeybees and how to work them w/out gloves, can and will fill out all sorts of forms daily and weekly, maintain phone acessabilitiy and can get along well w/ beekeepers, is able to remove 60 lb supers all day and put them back on,have him or her contact the state dept. of ag.

#25 ·
yes.
i think the state used poor judgement in thier choice of letting knowledgeable people go and replacing them in such a manner!

bob
That's what happens when you run up against a ridged buraucuracy. I also still think that someone made a complaint and forced this change. I don't know who and knowing who probably wouldn't help any one.

#27 ·
always someone to rock the boat!
when are you heading home? most be about time fruit trees in bloom here.
bob
I've been home since the 6th of May. The bees are in the apple orchards near Peru and i am on my way later today to Walcott and then Sauquoit to see and help friends and to bring home the rest of last years crop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.