Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

There were a lot of ants going in and out of the hives yesterday especially the one I was trying to salvage from a dead out. I spread cinnamon all around the hives then I went out and purchased DE. I spread the DE on the two closest ant mounds. This morning there were no ants at the hives but there were ants on the mounds walking through the DE. Hopefully over several days the ant numbers will decrease and if it works I'm buying industrial size bags and putting DE around all the mounds.
    Cindy
    Cindy

No one has mentioned a water barrier. This time of year you can find the kid/dog pools everywhere for cheap $$. Add a few bricks, and set your hives. If you have a couple of hives, it's the best solution. Just make sure a heavy rain won't flood the bottom hive body.

Michael, How much Borax per tablespoon of Jelly? I suppose I could just experiment, but it would be nice to know...

Maybe a half of a cup of jelly, how much borax?

I've used a 1:1 ratio of borax and jelly. Works fantastic !!!
    Everything happens for a reason. Time heals all wounds - time and a half heals them even faster

1:1 is what I do. Just by eye.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Actually just went and bought borax and jelly. I will be attacking them on all fronts. It is getting overwhelming the number of large mounds on our property.
    Cindy
    Cindy

I'm putting a mix of Jelly and Borax out but maybe it could attract the bees, so I am trying to solve my and problem using this mix but putting in a small jar with a hole in the lid.

thanks
    Andrew Burnard
    Trophy Club, TX

Smile

Thanks guys, 1 to 1 will be what I do....starting this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Best control is a strong hive. I've never seen them hurt a hive that wasn't already a goner.
    recently lost a NUCs to ants. last year I lost weak hives - they just absconded when ants over ran them.

I worked one hive at neighbor beek's apairy.. the wooden bottom board(old) was also an ant's nest.

I guess a lot has to do the type of ants.. and the strength of the hive.

I am having good initial success with petroleum jelly on the legs of my hive. I put a band around each leg and it seems to be stopping %99 in there track. The other %1 seem to be running into it by mistake and ether struggling across, getting more and more stuck or quickly turning around and out. Ether way they end up sort of dragging there feet for a while and I doubt they will be crossing again. I'm not sure how long it will last out in the sun but I feel better about it than grease both from an environmental standpoint and a laundry standpoint.

I take it back. A few hours latter and it was barley even slowing them down. It may be that as it got cooler the ants could walk on it, or maybe they just figured it out. Either way I had to do something or my poor little girls were going to get eaten out of house and home. So I cut some OJ containers in half and put them under the legs of the hive and filled them with water. I donít think this is a very good long term fix as it will rot the legs of in short order, but I should buy me some time to get a better solution.

My TTBH's are about two feet off the ground on 4 -2X4's sunk a foot in the ground and cemented in place. I use tanglefoot spread about an inch wide all the way around a short ways above the ground. It comes in a container used in a caulking gun, a tube container similar to a tub and tile caulk and a spray can. I got it at an ACE hardware store and it can also be obtained online. $4 or $5 but a little goes a long way and it is waterproof after applied. Every now and then I find a bee hung up in it (rarely) but it stops the ants cold. As we also do a chemical free garden, it is used smeared on yellow blocks of plastic scrap 3X4" or so, stapled on short sticks of wood and then stuck in the ground for flea beetles and grasshoppers. Works great and after they get filled up with stuck bugs I take a little gasoline in a container and brush the old off and reapply. These things work so well that the bugs are jumping on as I'm making them, they are attracted to the yellow.

I have tired various methods to control ants without much success, ants are very tough creatures and can seem to adapt to anything. This year I bought some cheap ant traps and threw one under every hive and so far I havenít had much trouble. Its seems to be producing good results with little effort and not much cost.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

Borax is Na2B4O7-10H2O, Hydrated sodium borate

Boric acid is H3BO3

someone check me on this

My hives are on 4 legged tables, with 4x4 post for legs,works well for one with just a few hives...Each leg sits in a 1 gal. plastic spackle bucket with water and a little oil, so i don't start a mosquitoe farm. It has been very effective in stopping the ants, i do get a few drowned bees daily...If i didn't have moats, i'd do the jelly/borax thing, still might, as the ants have been getting into my figs,mulberries and raspberries...not to mention my house...!!
    Kevin M.

I suppose it depends on how much rain you get, but here in FL, the rain will fill the moats with water and overflow the oil in less than a week.

I also saw too many bees drown in the moats, so I changed my plan.

I made hive stands that have 4 6" Galvanized Bolts for feet. The bolts can be screwed in or out to fine tune the stand for level and I just coat these bolts with tanglefoot. I set a paver stone down on the ground so the bolt doesn't sink it too much ($0.57 per stone at Lowes) It seems to work well. The hive stands are perfectly level and the ants can't seem to figure it out.

The only problem I've had in where the hive stand is on dirt, then in a hard rain the raindrops splatter the dirt up onto the tanglefoot and it fills in solid with dirt and then the ants can get over it. So for now I just wash it off and reapply every month or so.

Now if I could just find some way to keep out the darn SHB. They are the worst pest ever.
    Troy

that happens to me once in awhile Troy, moats overflow, but not very often, my old man live in south Fla., i seen how those rains can come down...!! I'm going to give that tanglefoot a try,it also sounds good for detering ants on my figs, mulberries and such...
    Kevin M.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12