Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ants, Ants, Ants

We have a lot of ants going into the hives. Any suggestions to control them?
    I tried the tupperware containers with the oil in them last year setting the hive legs in them. However I was worried my wooden legs on the hive stand would rot as the containers filled with water with the rain. Thanks.
    Cindy
    Cindy

Best control is a strong hive. I've never seen them hurt a hive that wasn't already a goner.

Yes, the hive they were in actually was a dead out but am trying to clean it up to use again and put in new bee's.
    Cindy
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by summersetretrievers View Post
    Yes, the hive they were in actually was a dead out but am trying to clean it up to use again and put in new bee's.
    Cindy
    amazing this must alll be happening now because of spring...
    this AM I went out to find my bee' throwing hissy fits with bunches of them flying all around the proberty...
    all jacked up.
    went to the hive and saw the ants has found the bottle feeder...and were starting to march in.
    I got spray water, and a spray bottle of murphys oil soap and then castile peperment soap, started takeing all those little burgers on...
    tonight the hive looks like it is much calmer and I have fresh ant stakes all around.
    My hive useto set on a pole with an oil trogh...but since it is on hillside, it leans onto the ground somewhat. and weeds of course grow up on to it.

I mixed boric acid with grape jelly and dropped it on the ground, one week later the ants were gone. The jelly keeps them busy and away from the hives for a while. By the time the jelly is gone the boric acid has taken its toll and the ant mound is dead. I then put ant stakes out to keep any future traspassers away.

I think others have used something similar to the boric acid and jelly. You can get boric acid at most pharmacies.

>I mixed boric acid with grape jelly and dropped it on the ground, one week later the ants were gone.

I do that but with borax because it's cheaper and easier to find. The same end result.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

So you use borax like you find at the grocery store?
    Cindy
    Cindy

We sprinkle cinnamon around the hives and have no ant problem at all. It does have to be renewed every time it rains, but as I've posted before, we buy it at an off-price outlet for $.89 bottle.
    - Ann, a Gardening Beek

Around our property we have these huge ant mounds not quite sure what they are. The mounds are several feet high and around. They seem to spread out from the central nest. They are also at the neighbors next door but not in the field on the other side. I think they might be harvester ants but not sure they are black on both ends with a reddish torso. I am in Michigan so we don't have fire ants :-)
    Cindy
    Cindy

Tried the cinnamon with zero results. It only works on certain types of ants. I use the containers with veggie oil inside. I nail some cover on the pallet top so that rain does not get into the containers. Works better than anything else I've tried.

I drench mounds with Lorsban mixed in small amounts with water.

Last year we had tremendous ants- I mean everywhere and tons more than I've ever seen. I did nearly everything that has been suggested here with little to no luck. Finally I got a tube of marine bearing packing grease from PepBoys. Spread about a half inch band around each leg with a butter knife, up high away from the dirt. So far they will not cross ;-)
    RD

Quote Originally Posted by jrandydavis View Post
    Last year we had tremendous ants- I mean everywhere and tons more than I've ever seen. I did nearly everything that has been suggested here with little to no luck. Finally I got a tube of marine bearing packing grease from PepBoys. Spread about a half inch band around each leg with a butter knife, up high away from the dirt. So far they will not cross ;-)
    RD
    I did this 3 weeks ago.. I went from lots of ants to no ants. Now, if I could just get the bees to stop walking in it and leaving foot prints all the way up the hive leg, I'd be a happy guy!

Hi. My wife and I just started our first hive ever the begining of April. We're really not too sure about what we are doing, but we joined the local bee club, are taking classes, etc. We haven't scewed up anything too badly yet, our single hive is buzzing like a disco club on friday night! I plan on adding the second brood box this weekend.

We read about the cinnamon deal to control ants, and decided to give it a try. We spread cinnamon all around the hive, and the bees promptly came out and collected all the cinnamon. It took them a little over an hour to pick it all up! So maybe we're on to something-cinnamon flavored honey!?

Anyway, they are small ants, and there are really not that many of them, I'm guessing that the stronger the hive gets, the less of a problem the ants will be. Is that a safe assumption?

Thanks-

Ken H.

I have had problems with 3 different kinds of ants here in Florida.

i guess I am in the insect capital of the world and I'll just have to get used to it.

The red imported fire ant usually stays on the ground and has not bee too much a problem.

The carpenter ants like to get into the warm cover space above a bee hive and once there will raid into the hive from time to time annoying the bees and making them quite testy, but once I went to migratory covers with no hiding spaces they are no longer much of an issue either. They are a problem in my hive top feeders, but I'm checking those every week to fill them and so if the ants get in there I just toss them all out before I refill. they seem to take a hint and move on after they've been evicted two or three times.

The ant that keeps giving me a hard time is the smaller black fire ant. It is also called the native fire ant. They seem to prefer to nest in any cavities in the wood hive bodies. I made some of my initial migratory covers out of plywood and the ants moved in those voids between the layers that seem to always show up. The bees are VERY aggravated by these ants, so they must be making forays into the hive and making them mad by taking their brood. I say brood, because I've never seen the bees get that mad by taking their honey, only when taking their brood do they get REALLY REALLY mad.

I have found the axle grease the best at discouraging the ants so far. I have read about a product called tanglefoot, but I can't find it anywhere locally.

Does anyone know where to get tanglefoot?
    Troy

Default TangleFoot

Hi there,

I'm new here, and new to beekeeping, but based on the advice of a local beekeeper, I used tanglefoot. I was able to find it at the local Ace Hardware store, and also our local OSH Hardware store carries it.

It's basically a glue that the ants can't cross, used the same way you all have described using the grease. It works great, BUT, the bees also can get stuck in it. So far I've had about 10 bees die in it in total (it's been about a week since I put on the tanglefoot). Not too bad, I guess, but I think I'll switch to one of the greases you all have mentioned here once this round of tanglefoot wears off.

Where do I find borax?

You can find it in your local supermarket
    Or hardware store in the cleaning products usually next to Ajax or some other brand in one of these cans with the peel off top that exposes holes to shake it out.
    busy as a bee, suit maker

>Where do I find borax?

With the laundry detergent.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

LOL, I was going to type like "Borax the laundry detergent?" and thought I'm probably wrong and someone will laugh like hell at me....