Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hardeman's

Default Hardeman's

Anyone ordered packages from Hardeman's and actually received them yet?
    Ordered 3 packages in January and received a ship date of 4/9 but still no bees. They say they're behind due to bad weather but others in the same area are shipping on schedule.

South GA had a very late freeze about the time your order was due. Tremendously high winds the next week. Over 6 weeks without any rain. A major wildfire was raging as of last week. I picked up packages from a different supplier down that way a week ago. They told me they were scrambling to meet their orders. My three pound packages looked a little light. So, if the Hardemans claim that the weather has delayed your packages I'd be inclined to believe them.
    I've done business with them before and they're a good outfit.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

I think that is where my middle man is getting them from. Ship date was first of the month (april), they are saying they should now ship first of next week, we hope

Smile They are there, I saw them

I actually picked up some packages from them last week. I know they are two weeks behind. They are scrambling to get caught up but the weather has been bad for them. I was pleased with the size of the package but the queens were small and are not yet laying. I hope they get with the program really soon.

So they are there and working hard, hope you get your order soon. I did order in late January and had scheduled a pickup then also to coinside with my vacation and they were able to accomodate me.
    Steve<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.cozynestfarm.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.cozynestfarm.com</a><br /><br />All that\'s golden must be honey

They were the supplier for the bees that were sold on Ebay. I just got mine two days ago - just when the Ohio distributor promised. They were the Russian/italian hybrids - and arrived in very good condition.

Very few bees dead and the queen looked happy and ready to get to work.

I know there was a late freeze, we got it too. I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt but it is curious that other suppliers in the same area are on schedule. I know they are because I also ordered packages from them. Now Hardeman's tells me they don't know when they can ship. They've got the last order from me. I only ordered from them in the first place because a couple of guys in our local club recommended them. Now those same guys tell me they got lousy queens from them the last two years!! Thanks a lot guys.

Default Were they smiling?

[and the queen looked happy...]

I wondering if you send some photos, my queens always look... well look busy!

-Jeff
    There is always more than one way to skin a cat, that's of course if you're into eating cats.

My past experience with Hardeman's was always good. I would give it a little longer; plus if they are good about returning your calls or emails, that is usually a sign of a good business.
    "I am the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd lays down His life for the sheep. " John 10:11

Other Georgia sellers are also delayed due to weather. The nucs I ordered from another supplier in Georgia will be shipped today. (Yippee)

I've always had good luck with Hardemans.

Ellen
    Ellen

All the other Georgia suppliers have shipped, and on schedule. Hardeman's can't even give me an estimated ship date. Yesterday and today I tried many times to phone them and they would not answer. Tried to send them a fax and the fax machine would not answer. As far as I am concerned, they can keep their bees and refund my money. I regret that my very first experience with them was totally negative. I will advise all members of our local clubs to avoid Hardeman's, as most of them have already learned to do. The cold weather in Georgia was about two nights of lows in the upper 20's to lower 30's, certainly not severe enough to have caused all the problems that are being blamed on it.

I had the pleasure of sitting down with John Hardeman on the first of April. One of the things we discussed was the lack of help this year. Seems that in the past, there was ample help from certain groups more than willing to get paid for a days work. He said that in past several years, its been harder and harder to find people actually willing to show up and work . John had indicated that the family members were working themselves to death and he mentioned that restructuring their business in the coming years may be needed.

Much of some of the bigger outfits use much labor from south of the border. Some outfits such as Wilbanks use labor from south america.

Seems finding good labor for hard work is a problem.

Beeaware,
    I will not bad mouth another supplier, but you are dead wrong about "other suppliers" not being late. Perhaps you recieved other shipments from other suppliers, but thats not rationalization to be used to bad mouth another supplier when the facts are clearly wrong. I have had many dicusssions with others about other Georgia suppliers being late with postcards being sent and delays a plenty.

I did not claim to know what others have received from Georgia suppliers. My own orders have been filled with the exception of Hardeman's. As far as bad mouthing them goes, I'm not hesitant to report poor service, regardless of who is involved. I do not run my business this way, and consider it bad business on their part. I stick to my position.

Help me out BeeAware. I tried finding another thread that you started in praise of all the other suppliers that shipped on time. I have found none. I hope your not just the complaining type. As hard as it is for suppliers in this industry, I hope you find the time to be positive and actually comment about the bright spots. If you know what I mean, unless your business that you mention knows nothing of the matter.

So who else did you order from? Anything actually positive?

I doubt many people would have a problem with packages being late.. however, the key to keeping your customer happy, and a return customer, is to keep them informed. You can delay delivery of products and services and still have happy customers as long as you are honest and keep talking to them.

In this case, BeeAware, is not being kept informed. That is bad service regardless of the problems the company is having.

I recently ordered from Draper. No bees came and when I called them, they were not the slightest bit interested in tracking down when they would ship. I won't use them again. Is that bad mouthing them? no, because it is based on facts. Personally, I don't care what problems the company have, that is not my problem. I just want to be kept informed.

I, too, agree with BeeAware. If they're a month overdue and not offering answers, he's due a refund and an apology. From what its worth, I also understand Hardeman's problem. It was more than the freezing weather. South GA hasn't had any appreciable rain in over 10 weeks. It is an area that depends on agriculture and this will be a devastating season for many. The freezing resulted in lost blooms from a number of wild flowering plants. The lack of rain has driven nectar production to zero for many others. Farmers haven't been able to plant cotton, another important bee forage in that area, because the ground is too dry. For many bee producers this season will be just as devastating as it will be for most other ag.
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

I rarely post anything negative about anyone and did so in this case with the hope of sparing someone a negative experience. I don't know why but it seems that customer service is almost a thing of the past. I run a business and have done so for several years. When I cannot complete a transaction for any reason, I notify the customer, explain the situation, and offer them a refund or an alternative solution, their choice. In this case, I got no notice of late shipment, first two weeks when I called I was told shipment would be made "next week". When it was not, I called again and was told that they had no idea when shipment could be made. I waited another week and decided I just wanted a refund. Tried two days in a row and no one answered the phone, tried to fax and the machine was not working. What would you have thought at this point? Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I was taught to do your level best to keep your obligation and if you can't contact the other party and see what can be worked out. But don't just ignore the situation and hope that all will go away. By the way, I still don't have the bees nor a refund.

Bjorn, how big is Hardeman's? From what I gather they are a bit bigger then a mom and pop shop. I wonder how come there are no other complaints on this thread about them? One persons complaints about someone is just that...not enough to form an opinion, one way or another.

Course, on the other hand, no one is saying, hey, I got my honeybees from Hardemans on time with no problems....

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffzhear View Post
    Course, on the other hand, no one is saying, hey, I got my honeybees from Hardemans on time with no problems....
    One guy did, he got them off ebay I think he said

I have an order to hardemans, but getting them from am middle man dealer. Last week he said the bees are starting to act right, then big wind storm blew over some of his queen boxes. So he is working on everything and I think is starting to ship. But as of 4pm last night our orders had not been shipped yet.

I do know my middle man dealer is able to get in touch with them every other day. But if I had a bunch of back orders I would not be in the office or on the phone.

Plan and simple it was a jacked up winter and a worse spring. Nothing is going right unless you live in NC. You can not beat mother nature.

Don't get me wrong, I am mad that my bees were not here first week of april, but if they had come then they would be dead. I want my bees NOW but as of now I do not blame Hardemans or have hard feeling towards them. Stuff happens and the weather is what happened this year

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffzhear View Post
    Bjorn, how big is Hardeman's? From what I gather they are a bit bigger then a mom and pop shop.

The Hardeman's are pretty big. If you order bees from Walter Kelley, those will be Hardeman bees. I was told by a reliable source that they sold over 60,000 queens per year.

While not a mom and pop shop, they are a family operated business. John is the founder, I believe. He is mostly retired. His sons and grandsons operate the business and provide most of the labor.