Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solar Power

Quote Originally Posted by drobbins View Post
    an interesting thought about solar
    photo-electric panels are somewhere in the neighborhood of 15% efficient
    solar hot water heaters are much higher, I think as high as 80%
    I heat my house with hot water and have been thinking a solar water array makes sense
    of course it does no good in summer (other than shade the roof)
    it all depends on what you want to get out of it, electric power or heat, but it's something to think about

Dave
    Have you priced a solar water system? It is pretty scary....I have thought about it, but my gas bill at 25.00 per month will never pay for it. If I put one on I will design and install it myself. It is outragous that they can charge so much for something so simple. I am not sure about using it for heat; I think I am too far north and, after living in Greensboro, I am sure that area is too. But if it could be done the nicest set up would be radient floor, but baseboard would work just as well at a fraction of the price.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
    Have you priced a solar water system? It is pretty scary....I have thought about it, but my gas bill at 25.00 per month will never pay for it.
    It depends on your situation. My northern-climate, no-insulation, bad-windows, (but gorgeous woodwork!) victorian house averages about $200/mo on gas. It appalls me, but putting solar on a slate roof in a region that gets NO sun Nov-Apr is not a winning proposition. We do however, average 30 mph wind.

Does anyone have any experience with the thin-film PV sheets? There was an article in Mother Earth News a few issues back about this, and it was interesting.
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

Thin sheets are great for portability such as camping, the military, etc. However, they are not as efficient as solar panels. The most efficient system is pole-mounted solar panels. The air is able to circulate under the panels, eliminating any heat buildup. I use 4 pole mounted solar arrays for my house.

Quote Originally Posted by coyote View Post
    Details. We need details. Manufacturer, output, costs, savings, maintenance requirements, etc.
    bump

and...

"I'm jealous. Looks great, I'd like to do that within the next couple of years. Need more details.."

bump

that's so awesome. My husband and I have been talking about doing the same. We're not quite ready to make the plunge because of $. We have a few other projects that are draining our pockets. But once we're ready it'll be great!

[QUOTE=Hobie;230184]It depends on your situation. My northern-climate, no-insulation, bad-windows, (but gorgeous woodwork!) victorian house averages about $200/mo on gas.

Don't feel bad. We spend $500/mo on oil in the winter. No wonder I'm broke Nov-Apr!

Maine also has a buy back program in place, but they're cheapos! I don't exactly how much but it's about 1/2 your amount! Boo!

>>Have you priced a solar water system? It is pretty scary....I have thought about it, but my gas bill at 25.00 per month will never pay for it. If I put one on I will design and install it myself. It is outragous that they can charge so much for something so simple. I am not sure about using it for heat; I think I am too far north and, after living in Greensboro, I am sure that area is too. But if it could be done the nicest set up would be radient floor, but baseboard would work just as well at a fraction of the price.

well there's the rub ain't it
    you can reasonably build your own solar water heat collectors
    personally I can't build photo-voltaic cells
    I don't know if I'll ever get a round tuit but if I did I would piggy-back it on my current system and just use it as a supplement
    I put in a radiant floor system myself, it's great

Dave

[QUOTE=hummingberd;230321]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobie View Post
    It depends on your situation. My northern-climate, no-insulation, bad-windows, (but gorgeous woodwork!) victorian house averages about $200/mo on gas.

Don't feel bad. We spend $500/mo on oil in the winter. No wonder I'm broke Nov-Apr!

Maine also has a buy back program in place, but they're cheapos! I don't exactly how much but it's about 1/2 your amount! Boo!
    My heat is wood, the gas bill is for hot water and cooking.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12