Default private message cap

the cap on PMs seems inordinately low. unless there's a severe storage space crimp, perhaps users can be allowed to save a few more.

100?
    200?

a cap in this range would probably accommodate most users. ok, thanks for the great site - love it.

-dave
    xeric bee

I agree it is way too low. Maybe there could be a premium paid for those who use the message boards and want to pay for the extra space. I think 200+ would make life much easier.
    Sheri

The cap as it is is pretty standard for most boards I have seen, and additional storage is usually available in a tiered structure depending on how much some pays. I.e., basic membership is free, with 25 messages. Then there is something like bronz, silver and gold memberships with increasing numbers of perks dependant on a fee schedule. I don't know if Barry is interested in something that complicated, but it would certainly be worth some set donation to have 100-200 messages stored. I think a standard membership (as now exists) and an enhanced one (with more saved messages and such) would bring in a few more bucks to support the website.

Keith
    Bee Sting Honey - So Good, It Hurts!

Quote Originally Posted by onelove View Post
    the cap on PMs seems inordinately low. unless there's a severe storage space crimp, perhaps users can be allowed to save a few more.
    Eh.. this is a public message board, not a private message board and as such there's no reason why it should try and replace private email. Anonymity shouldn't be an issue, if you're engaged in private communications with someone on the board, why not do so via email? The private message system does not have the facility of email either- it's good within the context of the system it's running on, but it's not my trusty email proggie. There is also a 5000 character limit I learned the other day- what a challenge for a blowhard like me!

Just the "other" perspective, for what it's worth. I agree a 30 message cap seems small but I'm not going to complain. The message transfer features are cool- at least you don't have to cut/paste stuff to get it out of the system.
    Dulcius ex asperis

Default Thanks George

I hadn't seen the download feature, that certainly helps alleviate the problem.

I think a premium upgraded message service would still be nice. If you have several different conversations going at once the allotment is restrictive. I thought keeping the thread of the ongoing messages quoted in the conversations would help but that is when the 5000 word cap gets ya.
    I'd sure be willing to pay for additional storage.....
    Sheri

I would find it convenient as I often have a lot of conversations going that I like to be able to backtrack on to find the context of the reply. I'm always maxed out on messages. 200 would be VERY nice compared to 50.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I often have a lot of conversations going
    [SIZE=5] Posts: 25,289[/SIZE]

I bet you do!

Keith
    Bee Sting Honey - So Good, It Hurts!

Just so everyone knows, the beesource domain, of which the bulletin board eats up the lions share, is currently using 80% of the alloted bandwidth. I already increased the storage and bandwidth once, just to get the board running. At this point, I'll need to increase it again very soon. If I increase the PM storage and thread tracking and allow any attachments, I'll eat up even more. I still have enough donations to do this, but it won't take too long before it will all be used. If more donations keep coming in, I can make these improvements, but since the inflow has cooled off, I am cautious about revving up more costs at this time.

I'm working on a new design for the website currently. Once that is done, I plan to implement some of the suggestions about having a tiered membership so those that want more features can contribute a little more.

- Barry

Thanks, Barry
    This is great news,looking forward to it. We all appreciate everything you do.
    Sheri

I didn't know you could download the PMs before. That is a very nice feature.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by George Fergusson View Post
    There is also a 5000 character limit I learned the other day- what a challenge for a blowhard like me!
    Wow George.....Wow!