Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Florida honey???

7K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  suttonbeeman 
#1 ·
A buddy brought me back some florida honey this week and i couldn't wait to dive in.

He brought orange blossom, palmetto, tupelo, blueberry, and Florida wild flower.

What is Palmetto and Tupelo?
They are very nice.

The blueberry is very dark and has a serious blueberry taste to it. Is that normal to be very dark and almost artifical blueberryish tasting, or did someone maybe.... by accident add some flavour?
Is it possible to have a lite colored blueberry honey?
We don't have large fields locally so i've never tryed it before.

#2 ·
Not sure what Palmetto is....but Tupelo...is my very favorite honey, with Mesquite being second and Sourwood third!! It comes from the Tupelo tree. It has a very distinct flavor that either you like it or you don't. I love it! Enjoy it.

#5 ·
I know all about those Palmetto bugs, they are all over South Georgia....they moved up to Atlanta when I lived and grew up there too. Haven't seen many of these in the mountains and ya'll can keep em' there too!! We have too many wierd and strange creatures to deal with already. It's just like those fire ant thingy's...they will burn your feet off if you step in a patch. I've seen where they pretty much consume small cattle. Then I recently saw some Armidillo's moving up further North recently. Is that where the Palmetto bugs really come from, a friggin tree??!!??

#7 ·
The blueberry is very dark and has a serious blueberry taste to it. Is that normal to be very dark and almost artifical blueberryish tasting, or did someone maybe.... by accident add some flavour?
Is it possible to have a lite colored blueberry honey?
We don't have large fields locally so i've never tryed it before.
Blueberry honey is actually light in color and shouldn't taste like artificial blueberry. Could it be one of the flavored honeys? If so, the label should reflect that.

Susan

#9 ·
No sign of any lable markings of flavour added. I was suspitious when the flavour was so strong almost like a pre-froze blueberry waffle and can taste a subtle waxy almost carmalized flavour. I've had uncappings honey from my hot knife and i suspect that's what it is with a bit of BB oil added. It was purchased in a touristy area and those **** tourists will buy anything!!!:rolleyes:
THe wildflower has even more carmalized flavour, same brand.......hey what a great idea! Premium price.......tourists who won't travel 1000 miles to return it!

Thanks for the replys, if ya'll come up here i'll give ya my best:)

#10 ·
The palmetto that palmetto honey is from is not the large palm (aka, cabbage palm, Sabal palmetto). It's saw palmetto (Seronoa repens), which is a scrubby little thing that forms most of the understory in many pine woodlands and hammocks in Florida. I tried it once but it had a bitter aftertaste (or something) that I didn't really take a shine to.

I've also only had blueberry honey once. I don't recall it being particularly dark but it didn't taste a thing like blueberries. It also had an unpleasant aftertaste (which is why I only bought it once...)

Tupelo is a riparian tree mostly from the pan handle. At least that's where it grows in adequate density for producing tupelo honey. The honey is just fantastic! Only one step down from the stuff my bees produce... Tupelo honey also is very slow to granulate.

#14 ·
I tried it once but it had a bitter aftertaste (or something) that I didn't really take a shine to..
You might be thinkin "cabbage palm" palmetto is usually light and sweet similar to orange blossom in my opinion. Cabbage palm can have a bitter taste and is usally watery or runny. However as another poster stated it depend on what else is bloomin at the time and how long the bloom lasts. Palmetto bloom has not been very good here in our area last year or this year so they are definitly storing other sources on top of it.

#11 ·
Tupelo Honey

Pure Tupelo honey is produced from the White Ogeechee Tupelo (nyssa ogeche), it ranges through the Ogeechee River, the Apalachicola, and the Chattahoochee River Basins of northwest Florida.

High quality Tupelo Honey will not granulate.

The Honey flow should begin within the next 7-10 days and last about 2 weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.