Thread: Bee Bunker

Default Bee Bunker

I was at my apiary, which is located next to avocado and orange groves. I noticed the bees working the blossoms and decided to take some pictures. As I was walking around an orange tree I noticed what I thought was a bunch of bees going after water, it was wet around an Edison box from the drip lines. After closer inspection I could see that they were going in and out of an edge opening and this is what I found after opening the box. This is a new colony hard at work trying to make a go of this low lying location. Could be one of mine?

I can't tell you if it is one of yours, but I can definatively tell you that is NOT one of mine.

Nice pictures!

If you are in a large grove with pollination contracts, then there is a good chance that it is not yours. It has been there a week or two.

But it looks like a nice easy cutout Just make sure they are not AHB, not that I know much about them.

Rick

This has been a common practice of AHB to locate in cavities on the ground. Not so usual for EHB. As a new swarm if they are they may not become aggressive until they are better established. Just food for though.

Nice pictures, hope they're are some friendly Itailians and you put them to work! I'm certain whoever maintains that box would greatly appreicate them finding a new home!

Swarms in valve boxes are fairly common.

They look dark...is that a correct evaluation?
    Last edited by hummingberd; 04-12-2007 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hummingberd View Post
    They look dark...is that a correct evaluation?
    No, I wouldn't say that they look all that dark.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org