Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

You can always just stick with the MS Script Editor...or whatever they call it now. Javascript in IE is and probably always will be pretty bad. Yaldex Software makes a decent editor/debugger as well. I'm done with MS for the most part so none of the WIndows junk does me much good anymore.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

it's not free is it?
    it comes with office 2003 but all I have is 2000
    I ain't buyin no M$ software

Dave

Well, after reading Ann's post, and subsequent posts, my eyes glazed over...maybe it's the Irish Mist we sipped tonight. Maybe I should just hire someone to set me up...

Jeffzhear:

Your web-host probably has a web based editor for you to use. Unless you want to spend for the big boys (DreamWeaver, Freeway or similar) or learn to read and write HTML markup, these are the way to go. Even (perhaps especially the free hosts) have these web-apps available. Many of them are surprisingly well-featured. Look into them.
    The World Beehive Project - I build one of every popular beehive in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by drobbins View Post
    this is a bit off bullseye's original topic but,
    how can you debug javascript in IE?
    Dave
    I use the script debugger. If MSDEV's already on the machine (or a Rascal install) I'll use that. Script debugger is ok as things go. For HTML I've been running Expression since it was first available. Never "got" frontpage. Expression's ok.
    http://www.voiceofthehive.com - Tales of Beekeeping and Honeybees

What sites host free websites?
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

drobbins....you're right. It's an Office component. Go figure. Probably available with .Net studio stuff as well. I had an old standalone from back when I thought Windows development was nifty. It's truly bizarre that they ship a "free" script editor with an unnecessary office package.

Mine is hosted by godaddy.com it is not free but it is very affordable - $4.95/month
    Erin Forbes, EAS Master Beekeeper
    overlandhoney.com

Bullseye

Try this link:

http://www.evrsoft.com/1stpage2.shtml

It's the free version of First Page. I've used it before. It's VERY powerful and acts a lot like Dreamweaver. It supports a lot of fancy scripts and even ships with pre-built scripts for you to use. The free version will probably handle anything you want to build. Even has a spell check and thesaurus built in. The paid for version is less than $100.

I bet you'll do fine with the free one. It won't hurt to download and give it a try. I have a friend who set up an intranet for a dance studio complete with Flash integration using this package.

Default Someone to Teach?

I would like to have more of a web presence also. All I have is one of those templates put up by the Ag people in my state. Its very simple, one page, not interactive, etc. Maybe one of you beeks who are super web savy could teach an online class for some of the rest of us on creating your own web pages. Any takers?
    Susan

Verizon DSL has a free MY WEB SPACE plus I believe some other options for a fee. Don't know if it would be worth a look. Find yourself a teenager they seem to understand these things. WE take in foreign exchange students every year and they are always computer wise. They sure keep me out of trouble Never thought to have one of them help me with a web site

Korny

Default Easy web site creation

I just created a web site for our local bee club using Microsoft Publisher. It reallyw as relatively easy. (http://www.PWSBeekeepers.com) but I am interested in being able to do a lot more, especially posting photos that you can click on and they become full size.

I am considering going with hostmonser to host the site, although other clubs are using doteasy or something like that which is only @25 a year, but I don't trust that. I am glad to see this thread on the forum.

We've used Frontpage for 6 yrs. It has all the usual microsoft issues but has worked well for us and is cheap, around 150 bucks. We mainly ran into hassles uploading due to glitches but had our tech set us up with Cutepro-FTP which automaiclly uploads our files once it is complete. Almost seemless to work with now. I took a month of learning how to use it, now it's a breeze.

Here's the end result www.natureswayfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by peggjam View Post
    What sites host free websites?
    http://www.google.com/search?q=free+hosting

If your host does not (GASP!!!) provide a web-based site builder, have a look at FreeSiteDesigner.com.

Personally, I use the GNU Nano text editor and the BSD built-in FTP command-line client.

Bullseye,

ya confused yet

Dave

http://www.midphase.com/

this is who host my repair web site

Jeesh!

Quote Originally Posted by drobbins View Post
    Bullseye,

ya confused yet

Dave
    MAKES MY HEAD SWIM!

Come on gang, simple, easy to use and update without needing to know code or have a geek on payroll. Or is there such a thing?
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

I've offered you the simplest one I know of in KompoZer. Seriously, it's free, easy to use, and there's support available - what more do you want?
    - Ann, a Gardening Beek

ditto the web-based editors many hosting providers make available.

In fact, you are probably best by starting with the web-app provided by your host and then learning to create pages on your own.

Exclamation Thank you all very much!

>Macromedia Dreamweaver is very easy. WSYWIG- What you see is what you get.

>Dreamweaver for sure.

>i always go back to a simple text editor and keep a HTML web page reference

>I use an open source program called Kompozer.

>I went here, and it helped me choose a free program called nuv(?

>Has anyone tried MS Expression Web yet? I've played with the trial version a little. Apparently Frontpage is being phased out

>I also downloaded the Nvu software. It is great so far...

>The guy who wrote NVU is now working on something called Composer2

>NVU is no longer under development. KompoZer is actually a 'bug fix' for NVU.

>I've been using FrontPage for years and undertsand it

>I like Photoshop better than Fireworks

>If you're willing to learn HTML here's a nice editor

>Well, after reading Ann's post, and subsequent posts, my eyes glazed over...

>Your web-host probably has a web based editor for you to use.

>Mine is hosted by godaddy.com it is not free but it is very affordable - $4.95/month

>evrsoft.com It's the free version of First Page. I've used it before. It's VERY powerful and acts a lot like Dreamweaver

>Verizon DSL has a free MY WEB SPACE

>I just created a web site for our local bee club using Microsoft Publisher

>We've used Frontpage for 6 yrs. It has all the usual microsoft issues but has worked well for us and is cheap

>I use the GNU Nano text editor and the BSD built-in FTP command-line client.

>Bullseye, ya confused yet

>I've offered you the simplest one I know - what more do you want?

>ditto the web-based editors many hosting providers make available. In fact, you are probably best by starting with the web-app provided by your host and then learning to create pages on your own.

Except the sarcastic one Lots of good stuff until we got to the ABC's then I got lost.

The boy had a trial copy of Dreamweaver so I am reading the tutorial, looks ok so far. I also have the option of using Cox's free web space but it only lets you have 10 meg. On the upside (?) it uses Frontpage.

Is 10 meg of space enough for a site that is mainly just for viewing pictures?
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast