Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Sad

No sticky board. I should but have not done so yet. I keep the mites down by using SMR, and Russians. I also have drone brood frames that I freeze once the cells are capped. I have a frame in each box and the hives are 3 boxes high so there is a lot of drone brood that gets frozen. I try doing the freeze every week from each box. As I said I do not have the bees for making a profit but am researching them and trying to limit the chemicals. I have a feeling that this might take a long time to get a bee that is tolerant of the environment and pest we are encountering. Seems every time we get a step up we go down two. Right now we are just getting into spring. In fact my snow just disappeared 2 weeks ago!
    As far as sending samples to the labs that is on the agenda.
    Your statement on snow is an understatement. I plowed to get to work, plowed to get into the house (house is back 550 feet from road, 's' driveway, 18 feet wide with a hammer head by the house) and yes shoveled the roof, dog kennels (got 20 Siberian huskies) and my deck that is in back of the house. I was willing to share my snow but no one wanted it. This kept up for over 6 days. I hated the routine and it was getting old fast.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Dan

Does any one feel like we're lucky that there has been coverage about the loss of bees? I feel that if the media wasn't covering this, beekeepers would be complaining that people didn't appreciate what we do, and how we suffer.
    I know that the media is a business without a conscience. Media outlets are unaffected by the emotion caused from the lack or excess coverage of a "story." I feel fortunate that the media has picked up on this story. I believe it has helped to restore an appreciation of the honeybee that was taken away from beekeepers during the advent of the Africanized Honey Bee infiltration. I also believe that it has helped to spark an interest in people who know nothing about the keeping of bees. I am also thankful that the losses haven't been greater. That being "said" I feel for the commercial apiaries who lost so much. I think migratory beekeeping is hard on the bees, but I have bought my fair share of honey off the shelves at the local store. And I do feel aggravated by the misinformation that is printed, read, discussed and blatantly twisted to make their story a little more dramatic. So what is at the heart of this gripe???

Thanks for your respectful responses...

-K-

HummingBerd wrote,
    Does any one feel like we're lucky that there has been coverage about the loss of bees?

Keith replies,
    Right now many of us are doing damage control. Almond guys are wanting the boarders open because they are worryed about the U.S. supply because of this so called CCD.

HummingBerd sezs,
    I feel that if the media wasn't covering this, beekeepers would be complaining that people didn't appreciate what we do, and how we suffer.

Keith replies,
    You hit the nail on the head when you say "SUFFER" this seems to be the main story line.

HummingBerd sezs,
    I am also thankful that the losses haven't been greater.

Keith replies,
    Take a look on BEE-L this week, they are talking about the problems that were at the ROOT of some keepers that were in the news with this CCD .

HummingBerd sezs,
    And I do feel aggravated by the misinformation that is printed, read, discussed and blatantly twisted to make their story a little more dramatic. So what is at the heart of this gripe??...

Keith replies,
    Very well said HummimgBerd, the good keepers are doing damage control... from these other yahoo keepers that road the wheels off the CCD bus.

hummingberg ask:
    And I do feel aggravated by the misinformation that is printed, read, discussed and blatantly twisted to make their story a little more dramatic. So what is at the heart of this gripe???

tecumseh replies:
    by using such words as 'blantantly twisted' you are suggesting that you have some insight or crystal ball into other peoples intentions and/or motivations.

what is the gripe??? well evidently some people don't really think it is part of a journalist job description to make a story interesting, or that a journalist just might find it necessary to diverge from industrial jargon just to relay some informaton to the man on the street.

and as for myself... I do get some satisfaction in the number of unknown people that just walk up to me and inquire about the status of my bees... that anyone beyond myself should see some value in these small and mostly overlooked creatures truely floors me... which for some reason reminds me of an old b.dylan lyric...

you don't know what you got till it's gone...

the best of seasons to ya' all....

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345