Default Anyone raise pigs

I'd love to talk with anyone that raises pigs. I'm trying to find some now. Did it once before. We were highly entertained and well fed.

Default Pigs

We use to raise 4 or 5 every year for our own use. Did it the old way,fed them scraps (no meat) slop, day old bread tomatoes, just about any thing left over from the garden. If you get your pigs from someone who raises them inside, and you raise them out side be careful not to let them get sunburned. Pink skin burns fast. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by nursebee View Post
    I'd love to talk with anyone that raises pigs. I'm trying to find some now. Did it once before. We were highly entertained and well fed.
    Dang. When I read the title I thought this was a thread about teenagers.

I don't raise pigs myself - but I have a friend that does. He collects the scraps from out restaurant to feed them. They certainly aren't worth anything right now, if you are looking to sell them. He had one that got up to around 900 - no one would buy it for 50 bucks.

They are cute when they're young - but man, the smelly, messy reputation is deserved.

Jesse

Up until a couple of years ago I would buy 3 to 5 weaners (young pigs) in the spring and raise them during the summer to get them to market weight. They typically started in the 25 to 30 pound weight and ended up at around 210 to 250 pounds by slaughter time (first week in November). It was always an experience to say the least.

I quit a couple of years ago because it was getting hard to locate them in the spring. It seems that all of the growers around here were getting out of the business for one reason or another. The farmer that I used to buy them from had a major fire and his whole complex burned to the ground. He lost over 3000 pigs in a couple of hours.

The last time I bought some I had to travel to Maryland to find some of the breed that I wanted that didn't cost a fortune. I've been thinking about checking out the current prices and maybe raising a couple this summer. I just don't know how the new wife will respond to this. :confused:
    Be Yourself, Everyone Else Is Taken!