Hybrid View

Default Northern Nucs Follow-up

Before winter, there were several threads about overwintering nucs in the north. Below is a pict of a nuc being checked in July and pictures of two of the nucs earlier this week. Of the 30+ nucs I started last July, I lost only one this winter. I learned a lot again this year (again). The one that I lost starved out because the queen started laying during a warm spell in January. Almost all of them started in July expanded to fill 5-8 frames and were able to get heavy on the bamboo flow here in early September. All in all it's been a very good bee winter so far - but April is usually a pretty harsh month - Fingers crossed!

http://www.merrilland.net/nucs06.JPG

http://www.merrilland.net/HPIM1746.JPG

http://www.merrilland.net/HPIM1749.JPG

Good job, Kurt!

29 out of 30 is really great for overwintering nucs.

Did you winter them over above strong colonies, or perhaps grouped together, ...or just individually?

Looks like you've given them some granulated sugar. Did you give that to them back in Jan. or so?

Thanks for posting the pics.

Default Can you call eight frames a nuc?

Thats a single brood chamber hive to me.

I agree with Oddfrank. What is the working definition of a nuc?
    That said, good job getting so many hives through winter Kameril

I tend to call anything less than 9 frames a nuc but yes, the ones pictured are single deeps. I guess in my mind I have this group of hives classified as "the nucs" since they were all started as a batch last July with 2 frames of brood and a frame of honey. Most of "the nucs" are 5 frames and 6 (like in the pictures) expanded to 8 frames before winter.

I put candy on all of them in March during the warm spell. They were all wintered above double deeps, some were wraped and some were not. All had top insulation.
    Last edited by kamerrill; 03-31-2007 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kamerrill View Post
    I tend to call anything less than 9 frames a nuc but yes, the ones pictured are single deeps. I guess in my mind I have this group of hives classified as "the nucs" since they were all started as a batch last July with 2 frames of brood and a frame of honey.
    I don't think the definition police are going to give you a hard time on this. Technically I guess anything less than a full-sized colony is a "nucleus" colony. Glad you had success. As for my nucs, I wintered 2 single 10 frame deeps OK but lost 3 of 4 4-frame nucs- not sure what the problem was but I think 2 of them went queenless over the winter. It was my first attempt wintering nucs so I'm not disappointed.

I liked the singles- they were less overall work than the 4 framers, wintered better, and have built up quickly this spring. They don't look much different from some of my double deep hives. I'm going to continue to experiment with both singles and smaller nucs this year.

Now, if it would just warm up! My bees have been turning over my compost heap on warmer afternoons recently, but they're really anxious for some ordinary bee forage.
    Dulcius ex asperis