Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Bonide vs. Burgess

i was looking online at getting a fogger since i can't seem to locate one locally. i read through some posts and see that the Burgess #1443 works, and i saw that a lot of folks use the Bonide fogger. i haven't found any posts that mention the Bonide's model #. I noticed there are a couple different ones. Anyone have that model #? any problems with the bonide? since i have to pay shipping and all, i figured i'd go with the cheaper one if it still works fine.
    -M@

Default fogger

Mine is a Bonide I've had for a couple of years. Don't see a model # on the box (still have the box????) it is called a propane insect fogger. It is red with a translucent bowl that screws to the bottom. It has given me no problems. You should be able to find one in your community. I purchased mine at Tractor Supply, you must have a farm & gardening store nearby. I like to do business in my community if possible (not a walmart shopper) locals buy a lot of my honey even trade

Korny

Default model #

hmmm... when i was look'n online i found a propane model # 554 and a propane model #420 and after that i just stopped looking and decided to ask on here. maybe i just misread something. i'll double check based on your description. i've checked the garden centers and they just have the burgess electric ones or the Black Flag propane ones.... not the burgess 1443 or a bonide of any type. even if the propane Black Flag will work, i just dont like the looks of it. their logo just looks like it should have a skull and crossbones on it or something. i dont like the idea of people seeing me using that thing really, looks deadly. i think that burgess either makes the black flag or vice versa, but i dont like that black one with the logo.

thanks for the description of your's, that should help a bit.
    -M@

Default bonide red & green

ok... i did a search on Bonide #554 and #420 just now.... i dunno what the difference in performance is off hand(was just looking for photos), but the #554 is the Red one and #420 is a Green one. they both say they run off propane.
    -M@

I was just at Minards in Lansing and they have the Burges 1443 propane fogger there in the garden department. I didn't look at the price but they had stacks of them. ( I was there on a bee call but they were bald faced hornets )
    Clint
    Clinton Bemrose<br />just South of Lansing Michigan<br />Beekeeping since 1964

Default no Minards

yeah, i've heard of Minards ... but we don't have them around here.
    -M@

Default www.bonide.com

Still shows product in same box that I got a couple years ago.

Mosquito beater outdoor fogger. Comes with one free qt. of fogger insecticide. This the one you probably want.:confused: Your call.

Korny

I use the red Bonide, along with thymol in the oil. No scientific studies, no proven facts, I just like it.

Default Fogger

Newbeematt, I bought a Burgess Fogger at Lowes, so I feel sure there is a Lowes near you.

Here's the one I use......... works good. This bonide has free shipping. But it's $59 and I'm not sure if that's in the ball park now days.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bonide-Propane-M...QQcmdZViewItem

My understanding is this Black Flag.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-BLACK-FLAG-P...QQcmdZViewItem

is really a Burgess dressed differently.

I've had my Burgess model 1443 for about a year, works well for me.Don't recall what i paid for it, bought it online...I've only used FGMO with pure essential wintergreen, my bees made it through the first winter. Not many varroa in the draw i built under the SBB...been monitering all through the winter and early spring...
    Kevin M.

Default ordered burgess

well.... looked around and even at the new Tractor Supply i crapped out. They said they ''should have it'' and ''would get it'' but couldnt tell me If or When they were ordered or If/When they'd get them If they were actually ordered.... the Lowe's near me didnt have a Propane fogger other than the new black flag one that Sundance pointed out. i dont know anything about foggers other than what i've read here, and i havent seen that anyone on here is using that one so i'm a bit leary of it. i ordered a burgess on ebay. i was watching both the Bonide and Burgess on there and the cheaper Bonide was sold before i got to it... they have used ones regularly on there, but i didnt feel safe fogging my girls with something that had already been full of poison before.

thanks for all the input
    -M@

Quote Originally Posted by newbeematt View Post
    well.... looked around and even at the new Tractor Supply i crapped out. They said they ''should have it'' and ''would get it'' but couldnt tell me If or When they were ordered or If/When they'd get them If they were actually ordered.... the Lowe's near me didnt have a Propane fogger other than the new black flag one that Sundance pointed out. i dont know anything about foggers other than what i've read here, and i havent seen that anyone on here is using that one so i'm a bit leary of it. i ordered a burgess on ebay. i was watching both the Bonide and Burgess on there and the cheaper Bonide was sold before i got to it... they have used ones regularly on there, but i didnt feel safe fogging my girls with something that had already been full of poison before.

thanks for all the input
    Our local Tractor Supply has them on the self. The new ones are black now. $47

Default boiling oil? flame thrower? deep fried bees !!

ok, my ebay burgess fogger showed up yesterday and i wanted to give it a try. i lit it and let it heat a bit. then tried it out. streams of boiling oil shot out that was giving off a bit of fog. i figured it should be pure fog so i let it sit a minute more and tried again. this time it had a bit more fog, but was still streams of boiling oil coming out with it. after a few trigger pulls out in my yard, i was effectively deep frying one particular dandelion i had targeted. so i waited a while more. then(and i was carefull to keep it level) every trigger pull became a boiling oil shooting flame thrower with pretty decent range actually, so after trying that a few more times for pure entertainment value, i shut it off and let it cool down. i wanted to get in my 1st fogging, so off to the bee yard to try again. it was late enough that the girls were all settled in. none were on the landing boards. so i started it up and pulled the trigger a few times. this time i got a lot more fog and a lot less oil. so i carefully shot it inside the hive, slowly squeezing the trigger to minimize the oil. i had a lot of wet and/or fried bees come pouring out. maybe 100 or so. then while standing there wondering how anyone manages to use this fogger, it started working perfectly ALL BY ITSELF ! billowing clouds of fog came pouring out of it nonstop with out me even touching the trigger. the entire bee yard looked like a cloud had landed on it. it slowed some, but didnt stop. eventually i just turned off the heat and it slowly stopped.

so, my questions are..... what am i doing wrong? not waiting long enough? waiting too long for it to heat up? or have i just bought a broken "new" fogger off of ebay?
    -M@

I let mine heat up for a LONG WHILE (longer is better) while and never give it more than ONE pump at a time I never pump till it gets trough foging "ALL BY ITSELF"

Keep playing with it till you get the hang of it
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

ah ok..... so what prolly happend is that it never really cooled off on the way to the bee yard(very close by) so it was working better when i tried it there, and i had loaded it up too much from pumping it too much so that when it was actually hot enough to work there was prolly a lot of oil sitting in the coil already. i was prolly keeping it from heating fully by pumping oil through it before it was ready.
    -M@

See your getting the hang of it already
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Default Fmgo

Where do you purchase the FMGO?

Steve

I ordered 5 gal. out of Chicago. Now I sell quarts to the local beeks. If you want to buy that much, I will look up the address. Most on here buy the USP grade at wal-mart or the drug store.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast