Hybrid View

Default Sunflowers and others

This is from last summer, the girls really loved the sunflowers!

- Ann, a Gardening Beek

I always grow a small patch in the summer and the bees love them, if you just leave them the birds love them in the winter.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

The Sunflowers are beautiful, as is the garden. Do you start Sunflowers from seeds? I have never planted them. What variety would you recommend to someone in Northern PA? And when would I plant them?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffzhear View Post
    The Sunflowers are beautiful, as is the garden. Do you start Sunflowers from seeds? I have never planted them. What variety would you recommend to someone in Northern PA? And when would I plant them?
    They're from seed, and they're nothing special. That's a mixture I got from the local nursery, just buy a packet off the rack (Burpee, Parks, etc). The fancier ones are coming through pollenless, I don't want to grow them. What they sell off the rack in nurseries, Wally-world, etc. are just fine. They grow fast and put on quite a show, if you get the multibranching types they'll bloom for quite a long time provided you keep them deadheaded. Also get some zinnias, the bees really love them, too!
    Last edited by Ann; 03-28-2007 at 07:52 PM.
    - Ann, a Gardening Beek

Default sunflowers

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffzhear View Post
    Yes all types will grow in Pa. They take up a lot of room but are easy to grow. Every year I try new varieties, so so many to choose from and beneficial to nature. After you start growing them each spring you will find new plants growing in the garden where seeds have fallen. I gentle dig them up (gently, they don't like being transplanted) and move them to where you want them. Since you will be getting cross pollinated plants you will get some interesting varieties.

Korny

Terrific garden. Lush and green. You must have a green thumb.

Keith
    Bee Sting Honey - So Good, It Hurts!

Ann and Korney both, ty and I will stop at the seed rack at Lowes and buy a packet and plant some....another project...a flower garden....<Smile> Again, TY, Jeff