Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

what has anyone heard in the last few days? i heard a rumor that it could caused by new strain of nosema?

The lastest copy of the MIDWEST BEEKEEPER is largely devoted to reporting on the CCD and it's a free download. It's got, among other things, a map.

http://www.indianabeekeepingschool.com/
    Dulcius ex asperis

Researchers are meeting today and tommorow in FL. I suppose they will issue an update Through MAAREC. You know, the site where the interim report came from!

Dickm

[size="1"][ February 20, 2007, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: dickm ][/size]

Where are they meeting in Florida, my bee inspector knows nothing about it.
    Clear Lake Wi. / Sebring Fl.

http://www.newscientist.com/data/ima...1183-1_650.jpg

Here's the direct link to the map of affected states.

There are several directions that are being looked at. Someone is looking at fungal contamination, someone is analyzing bee bread, someone is testing for pesticides, and so on. This actually is a very good effort of people coming together and trying to solve a problem. They are not focused on one thing in particular. And thats the way it should be.

Joel, (as you suggested) Last week, I passed along the webistes and some personal feeling to Dennis. (See thread "Body protein and CCD".)

[size="1"][ February 20, 2007, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: BjornBee ][/size]

It was top secret.If your bee inspector had been made aware they'd had to kill him off .

It was (is) on the east coast and was an invitation only thing. I guess for the highrollers and VIP's of beekeeping. I know people that are going but did'nt get my invite ticket. :confused:
    Where there are fruits and nuts there are beekeepers!!!

Joel, how current is that map? Do you know? I understand that NY beekeepers have reported CCD like symptoms. Mike Palmer reported on Bee-L that he had seen a map that included NY.

I filled out the survey. Does that automatically make NY part of the map. I attributed my bee loss, over the last two years, to poor managment and lack of effective legal mite controls.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

I beleive the map was current through the 1st. week of Februay, 07.

Thanks. I wonder what map Mike Palmer was refering to?

Mike, what map were you refering to?

Could you share with me the exact town on the east coast? Or is that top secret, double probation as well?
    Clear Lake Wi. / Sebring Fl.

I had in the back of my mind that HFC was to blame & then I found out that this is not he case. People who fed nothing but sucrose this fall are having the same problems as those who do nothing but HFC.
    I have made dozens of phone calls to try & get a a handle on this problem. Many of us agree that the problem arises with the bee leaving the hive & not finding it's way back home. Very few hives are found with any dead bees to speak of in the boxes. If the honey bee can not find it's way back home, this has to a problem with the bee's thought process.
    Pesticide kills will result in dead bees in front of & in this hive. This will occur in 12 to 24 hours. This type of event is not taking place as I have been told. Seems that a good bunch of the evidence is missing & that is the dead bees that have disappeared, never returned back to there hive.
    Anybody else have thoughs on this????

soup,
    Sick bees, if given the choice, will not normally die inside the hive. Either the bees lost their way by somehow losing their navigation skills, or they left with never having the intention of getting back.

In light that most of the hives were either down south, or in the north with an extremely warm fall and early winter conditions, I would guess that the bees dwindled within a short period, with sick and dying bees leaving on their own.

Not from many of the reports we have had. There was a load out yard in Wisconsin that when the trucks showed up late in the afternoon there was some flight on but not much. As of the 27th of December there was still 2 inches of dead bees in the load out yard. But very few dead bees on the truck bed when they got to Florida.
    These 3 loads of bees left the 1st part of November. There bees were still going backwards as of last week.
    I agree that a bee has a instinct not to die in it's own home, but we have had over the years some pesticide kills as the bee were so over come so quickly they can not leave the hive in time & die there.
    Lost there navigational skills is the key word here.When we can figure this one out I think we are on the right track.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/busines...bees_0220.html

I'm not sure what town , this article has some information about it . The reporter was granted access as she is pursuing information about ccd and improper use of lorsban in the citrus groves.
    Seems the florida dept of ag and florida pesticide division are not enforcing label laws.
    Where there are fruits and nuts there are beekeepers!!!

>Mike, what map were you refering to?

The map at: http://www.indianabeekeepingschool.com/
    in the March newsletter.

On Bee-L when I asked where in the state the report was coming from...I would have been happy with what county... Bromenshenk said:

"Our public maps are deliberately vague -- many beekeepers require
    confidentiality before they will answer our questions.

We share more detailed information as appropriate - to the CCD Working
    Group, others working on the problem.

However, our databases are set up to respect the beekeeper wishes. One of
    the more frequent requests is that we NOT share specific information with
    'their' state bee inspectors or the general public.

I can say that NY has a high percentage (compared to most states) of
    respondents who say they've seen this disorder.

Keep in mind, our surveys are only as good as the input that we get. So
    far, over 100 beekeepers have filled out our on-line surveys -- not many
    considering the number of beekeepers in the U.S. We can use more input
    (_www.beesurvey.com_ (http://www.beesurvey.com) ).

Thanks

Jerry
    J.J. Bromenshenk

"Here's the direct link to the map of affected states."

The map is not particularly useful. Take Texas for example. It's one of the states that has reported CCD, but we don't know if the bees were in Texline, or 900 miles away in Brownsville. Nor do we know if there was a single case involving 2 static hives kept by a hobbiest, or 5,000 hives spread amongst 10 commercial pollinators. No data on when reported, when the die-off was discovered, treatments, whether it's confirmed as CCD, etc.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

{The map is not particularly useful.}

That's for sure, they could have at least used red and blue!

I understand they don't want to give anything away but a number would be nice.

I kinda worry about self diagnosis of CCD. I filled out the survey, but I don't necessarily think that I have CCD. I just can't say one way or the other. And to say that I have experienced CCD in my colonies is irresponsible, in my opinion.

It's too bad that the cause isn't known. If it were then one could sample suspect colonies and have lab verification.

From my experience in the Inspection Field, there is nothing like experience when it comes to field diagnosis of bee diseases, pests and disorders.

Mike, what would you do if the bees in question, in NY, were in Clinton County?

Mine are all in SC. I'll bet that the majority of the beekeepers from NY who participated in the survey are probably migratory and therefore out of state at this time.

David Hackenburgs colonies were in NY during the summer. So, were his counted as being from NY, or PA? PB, from PA, supposedly lost all of his and his were in NY during the summer. 3,000 colonies.

>I kinda worry about self diagnosis of CCD. I filled out the survey, but I don't necessarily think that I have CCD. I just can't say one way or the other. And to say that I have experienced CCD in my colonies is irresponsible, in my opinion.<

Like most emerging or re-emergent diseases, it is probably over-diagnosed. In animal agriculture, these things often come to peculiar resolutions. For instance, it may be as simple as overpastering/bad climate and a very common viral disease or trach mites. There is no harm to filling out the form. It may be that CCD is many types of diseases such as different classes of virus, all transmitted by varroa.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast