Default Chevy Cav 2.2 Eco-Tec Strangeness

While changing the oil in my 03 Cav I noticed a good bit of what I would guess is water and a brown goo in the intake tube. I popped the cover loose and found the same goo in the breather that goes into the valve pan. Anybody have any ideas?

Could be a blown head gasket.
    Check your coolant level several times in the next few days to see if you're losing coolant.
    Watch for white smoke (steam) coming out of the exhaust pipe when starting the car after it has been sitting for several hours.
    If either of these are the case it would be worth a trip to a shop to have it checked out.
    George

Nope and Nope. Coolant level has been ok for months and it doesn't smoke at all. Ever. That's what I was thinking but then realized that it has actually been doing this for a while and by now a coolant leak would have wiped out a bearing for something. I'm not ruling it out 100% but how can I test this other than taking it in to the shop?

That brown goo is moisture. Get an oil analysis done
    on your motor oil. Usually runs $20 or so and will tell
    you a whole lot about your engine. Bearing wear, what
    fluids are present if any, etc

It is commen on some engines to see the (muddy) moisture at the places that you have described. Especially if you make many short trips and don't bring the engine up to temperature for more than 20 min. or so. While it is possible that you could have a problem, with a lack of coolant loss and no drivability complaint it is probably nothing to worry about. Sundances recommendation of an oil test should ease your mind if it worries you.

Default Re: moisture

The moisture is more than likely condensation on the cold exterior parts on the motor that don't heat up properly in short runs in these cold days in Pa.
    I see it on a lot of cars this time of year.Idling to warm up in the mornings is a big contributor as this really adds to the problem as heat doesn't build up enough while idling to dissipate the condensation in cold weather.
    As far as steam out the tail,the catalytic converter cuts a lot of the emmissions to co2 and h2o so water will build up in a cold exhaust and also needs to be warmed a lot to get rid of it. The packing in the muffler is like a big sponge when it is cold outside. Watch sometimes and you can actually see water run out of cold systems on cars in front of you. Good luck!

Thanks everyone!