Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default trap placement

Would there be any merit to putting this trap with lure and DE on the ground under the hive - or does it have to be inside the hive to work. I'm a newbie and I dont want to disturb my bees too much. ?

Try it and see. I think lots of new things are happening in the bee world and its hit or miss with all the new problems the the bees have these days. What I have learned so far is if you live in the south you will always have a potential problem, the thing is balance. To many beetles and the hive dies. A small amount of beetles and the hive can deal with them, so theres balance. Hive beetles also like to hide in dark places and they like to hide in the corner of the hive. Thats where the beetle trap works well inside the hive, they try to hide inside it and drowned in the oil. The next time you open the hive try to scatter them and watch then run right into the oil pan or you can vacuum them out like I did, it works.

This is an amazing year....last year I was so frustrated by the SHB - seeing scads of them when I opened a hive in the dark corners, as you say, aidah. This year I decided to be a good Girl Scout and follow the "Be Prepared" rule, so I got ready for the onslaught by building the Sonny/Mel trap.

Meanwhile we are having the worst drought in 50 years in the state of Georgia and I have NO small hive beetles. It isn't that the trap isn't working, it's that I don't have the problem this year - NOT AT ALL!

The only hive where I do see SHBs is a nuc I started from a tiny swarm that invited itself to live on my deck. And I've only seen 2 in it and none today when I inspected it.

So boy, am I prepared, but at the same time, I think the SHB problem at least in my beeyard has succumbed to the drought.

Linda T in Atlanta
    "You never can tell with bees...." Winnie the Pooh
    http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com

At the Metro Atlanta Bee meeting last night, Cindy Bee who was giving a program on honeybee removal said as an aside (what problems poorly removed honeybee issues could create) that SHBs will be a huge problem in July and August here in Georgia, so maybe my traps will have something to work with at that time!

Linda T in Atlanta

Tillie,
    I think your right about the lack of shb this year. Seems the numbers are low and some report that hives with shb in the past have very few if any inside the hives now.

Every beek should be checking stored equipment, dead out hives sitting around, etc. Now (In Pa. anyways) is the time you can find thousands of larvae inside a hive ready to create problems later in the year.

I think all the hive beetles are here in my yard in fl. this year. I have hundreds of them.I will check my bees tomorrow wish me luck.

Quote Originally Posted by aidah View Post
    I think all the hive beetles are here in my yard in fl. this year. I have hundreds of them.I will check my bees tomorrow wish me luck.
    No, you don't have them all. I opened one hive last week and it looked like a bunch of little black BB's running around in there.

As per a thread a few months ago, Michael Bush was right, they will hide, in mass, in the space frame rests make between the top bar and box dado. I will build no more boxes with frame rests.

I opened my hive today to peek and life is good. The girls are doing great! My hive beetles are down to a manageable Number. I had hundreds of them. Now there are only a few. Maybe the hive will make it after all. I have lost sleep thinking about these #*^ beetles. Good night

I am concerned with my beetle problem and bought gardstar and some drone frames. I also use screened bottom boards on each of my 6 hives. After reading the gardstar label I have questions: Do the SHB larve go through the screen and enter the ground directly under the hive as opposed to in front of hives with solid bottoms? Will fumes from an application of gardstar enter the hive through the screened bottom and kill bees? The gardstar product appears to be a very potent chemical and I'd like some advice before proceeding

I followed the directions and sprinkled it aorund the hives, last summer. I did it one night just after sunset.

I had open SBB on some of the hives and I noticed no ill effects on the bees.

I also did several other things to get rid of them too, so I can't say whether the Gardstar was instrumental or not.
    Troy

Default small hive beetle

can someone give me the receipe for mel and sunny treatment for small hive beetle i donot want to use any chemicals on my bees
    thank
    pom51

>can someone give me the receipe for mel and sunny treatment for small hive beetle

http://www.beeworks.com/informationc...ve_beetle.html
    sc-bee