Hybrid View

Default Small Hive Beetle Treatment

After several trials and modifications, two members of the bee club I belong to, Foothills Beekeepers Association have been successful in reducing the number of Small Hive Beetles in hives.
    The state bee inspector was skeptical as to the worth of their development, but after seeing their results, is endorsing the treatment. I donít know if this is something someone has tried elsewhere, but it is the first Iíve heard of it.
    The two guys that developed the treatment are:
    Sonney, beemaker at hotmail dot com and Mel, melemcc at yahoo dot com.
    You can get more information by e-mailing them.
    Jon, N6VC/5

How are they going to feel about being peppered with e-mail inquiries? Wouldn't it be better to just post the method here? Or are they going to sell it?
    - Ann, a Gardening Beek

two guesses
    first one doesn't count

Dave

Howdy Ann --
    Could be that the folks do not want to be exposed to the diatribe of "That's not approved".
    Doc

They are not trying to sell it. I just don't want to "steal their thunder". As soon as I have a chance, I will try it out. One of the requirements is to have hive beetles which I haven't found in my hives, yet. When I do, I will post the information with pictures, etc. as I always do.
    If you live in Arkansas, and took a class from the state bee inspector, you would receive this information from him.
    I don't care one way or another. I just thought there might be someone who could use the information.
    And, you might be right, this might be an imposition on them, but being acquainted with Mel, this is the kind of thing he does. How many people do you know who would volunteer to help the paid professionals eradicate AHB colonies for the fun of it?
    Jon
    Jon, N6VC/5

Quote Originally Posted by hrogers View Post
    Howdy Ann --
    Could be that the folks do not want to be exposed to the diatribe of "That's not approved".
    Doc
    Ah. Well, I can't blame them there....
    - Ann, a Gardening Beek

Default I'll try in SC

I'll be glad to shoot them an e-mail and give it a try if they respond. I definitely have the subjects to run the experiment on :mad: .
    sc-bee

I am concerned with my beetle problem and bought gardstar and some drone frames. I also use screened bottom boards on each of my 6 hives. After reading the gardstar label I have questions: Do the SHB larve go through the screen and enter the ground directly under the hive as opposed to in front of hives with solid bottoms? Will fumes from an application of gardstar enter the hive through the screened bottom and kill bees? The gardstar product appears to be a very potent chemical and I'd like some advice before proceeding

I followed the directions and sprinkled it aorund the hives, last summer. I did it one night just after sunset.

I had open SBB on some of the hives and I noticed no ill effects on the bees.

I also did several other things to get rid of them too, so I can't say whether the Gardstar was instrumental or not.
    Troy

Default small hive beetle

can someone give me the receipe for mel and sunny treatment for small hive beetle i donot want to use any chemicals on my bees
    thank
    pom51

>can someone give me the receipe for mel and sunny treatment for small hive beetle

http://www.beeworks.com/informationc...ve_beetle.html
    sc-bee

"You never can tell with bees...." Winnie the Pooh
    http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com