Default Proper use of boardman feeders ???

When is the right time of year to use the mason jar feeders that insert into the front entrance ?? As long as it is warm enough for the bees to break cluster correct ? The baggie method is usually used for early spring when the bees are still clustered, but not flying regularly, right ????

So many feeders , so confusing ?????

This may boil down to regional preferences, but the master beekeepers in my area pretty much told all of us newer guys to forget the boardman-style feeders.

I changed from the boardman --which came with my starter kit --to the top feeders, and was happier about many aspects of using that instead. You can keep the hive opening as small (or large) as you think best during the colder early spring, and all the benefit of the syrup goes to your bees in that particular colony, not any insect passing through the neighborhood. Reloading the feeders seemed less work, too.

Good luck,

Boardman feeders have a bad rep, primarily because they tend to promote robbing, primarily because they often leak, like many inverted-container type feeders. What's different of course is they're leaking on the landing board, right by the entrance. This is an invitation to robbers even if you configure the entrance reducer to put the entrance on one side of the hive and the feeder on the other. This helps, but the proximity of the leaking syrup to the entrance will still attract robbers to the front of your hive- right where you don't want them.

Theoretically, if you can prevent the feeder from leaking, they'll work fine. I suspect most people make the holes in the lid too big. Expansion and contraction of the syrup due to solar heating probably doesn't contribute much to the problem.

I've used Boardman feeders to dispense water, they're great for that. I've also use them successfully to dispense syrup for emergency feeding but usually I don't put them in the entrance, but I have- I normally just set them on top of the inner cover and put a super around them, and a lid. The biggest problem is they're too small to dispense a significant amount of syrup without repeated refilling but it's amazing what a quart of 1:1 syrup can do for a hive sometimes.

Never used baggies. I might this spring.
    Dulcius ex asperis

If the nights get cold I find that the bees will still try to go for the feed in a boardman. The cold metal chills and kills them. I don't know why they aren't made of a more insulative material. It only happens within a certain set of temp ranges, but hivetop feeders are superior in many ways. Haven't ever baggy fed.

>When is the right time of year to use the mason jar feeders that insert into the front entrance ??

Spring and fallis good, but I wouldn't put it in the front entrace. I'd put it over the hole on the inner cover and put a box around it instead.

> As long as it is warm enough for the bees to break cluster correct ?

Sure.

>The baggie method is usually used for early spring when the bees are still clustered, but not flying regularly, right ????

The baggie method can be used anytime, but has the advantage of being taken better in cold weather.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I put a couple of them on my picnic table.. just to watch the bees feeding is sometimes nice. Haven't had any issue at all with bees from different hives fighting over the syrup or robbing, as the feeder is not on the hive.
    There are better ways of getting syrup into a particular hive.. hive top feeders, frame feeders, etc and I wouldn't use a Boardman feeder exclusively if I thought a hive desperately needed feed. But other than that I really enjoy them.