Default Can you build your own Honey Pump?

:confused: After looking at some of the honey pumps on the market, I'm wondering if it would be easy to build your own honey pump:confused: .

Has anyone done this?

I'm a assuming the gear pump is the key piece. It requires the ability to pump vicious liquids. I don't need a pump to handle cappings. I only care to have a smaller 1" size pump to handle 100-200 hives.

Any advice or thoughs would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Dan Williamson
    B&C Honey Farm http://www.flickr.com/photos/9848229@N05/

Where I work we have "barrel" pumps that we use to pump oil from 55 gallon barrels. It runs off compressed air. It will pump 150 weight oil in 20 degree weather so I'm sure it would pump honey. The only draw back being you would have to have a air compressor to run it.
    you must endeavor to persevere

Lightbulb

Any of these pumps listed at WW Granger work? Check out the slurry pumps. Has a SSV rating of 3000.

http://www.grainger.com/production/info/ww-granger.htm
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Hey guys.

I was looking at the pumps on Grainger. That is what prompted me to think about building my own. I think I could save about 1/3 of the $$ but it still isn't cheap. I'd hate to drop the dough and then figure out after the fact that I got the wrong kind of pump to handle honey.

I have a compressor so that isn't a problem as far as needing air. I just want to make sure that no matter what I use, it will be the right type of unit for honey and won't contaminate it in any way.

Grainger had some brass gear pumps that look very similar to the ones the beesupply houses sell. Unfortunately, its impossible to tell if the inner gears are similar or quite different.
    Last edited by Dan Williamson; 03-14-2007 at 08:20 AM.
    Dan Williamson
    B&C Honey Farm http://www.flickr.com/photos/9848229@N05/

Take the oil pump off your truck
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

honey pumps are food grade, and others are not. Also alot of barrel pumps use oil from the barrel to lubricate the pump and you will not get that with honey. There are plenty of food grade pumps available for other items, like milk, you just need to search for them.http://www.syltone.com/transportatio...0specsheet.pdf
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Default Re: Can you build your own Honey Pump?

Has anyone successfully build a nice (food grade) honey pump and saved any money? I have searched around Grainger and everywhere I can think of. A decent food grade rotary gear pump cost $400+ (Steel Gears $250+ Food Grade? I don't think so) Add a nice 1HP electric motor $150+ throw in some pulleys and a belt $50+ Wire the motor with proper 15A wire & plug $30+ Plus build the frame and make guards for the pulleys and belts $xxx and time? I am thinking that the Maxant Pump (400-1) or the MannLake HP-476 may be the way to go. I like both vendors, I am just not sure on who's pump would be a better fit.

I see some of the barrel/ oil pumps and they are made with lead
    Not all lead but it is listed on the metals used in the cast
    I would watch out for that

I scored one without a motor on ebay for 60.00 Also note the a Diaphragm chemical pump (virgin) will pump honey fine, cold honey is slow. but does pump (cold being less than 70 Deg to me....)