Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Jan,

1. Our conversation without official data is useless. I have to wait for the USDA response.
    2. There is a link to Dr. Curries' statement in my article.

Boris

>>Our conversation without official data is useless

You figure?

Your making me search for the link to Dr. Curries quote in your article?
    Maybe it would be quicker to Google it instead,
    I would rather you site the quote in your next post, please.

Please show Dr.Currie a little more respect than that,
    Last edited by Ian; 03-29-2007 at 09:23 AM.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

>>(and Boris, your quoting Dr. Curries work, so you MUST provide a reference after that quote)

Boris, provide that reference!
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I would say the cause is beekeepers!

>> would say the cause is beekeepers!

The beekeepers are causing what exactly?
    www.stepplerfarms.com

UPDATE: Information posted on the USDA website confirms my theory regarding the effect of stress on the immune system of bees. In my outline of a future article, I mention several factors that result in higher stress experienced by bees. USDA discusses two of these factors. It sites that "stresses include poor nutrition (due to apiary overcrowding, pollination of crops with low nutritional value, or pollen or nectar dearth) and migratory stress brought about by the increased need to move bees long distances for pollination. Stress could compromise the immune system of bees making colonies more susceptible to disease." http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=15325

My article is here:
    http://www.beebehavior.com/weak_state_bee_colonies.php
    Last edited by Boris; 05-09-2007 at 11:02 AM.

Default Fat Bees Skinney Bees

Wow what a long thread. Way back post 80 or so the discussion was on research. In CA, beeks working with Joe Traynor donated two dollrs per hive to research. Did Joe, the grower or the beek put up the money, who cares. The money went to research. Every pollination job in the country should donate one dollar per hive to research. Some research last year indicated that it may be possible to out run varroa or severly affect it through a heavy nutrition program. Many large beeks here make their own patties. Most give better results than the major patty producers. One research project needed is an in depth analysis of every major pollen source in the USA. Fat Bees Skinney Bees is a work done in Australia that analizes every major pollen in Australia. Includes total protine, and amino acids in each pollen. They found one plant yielded large amounts of honey but the pollen was so poor that the bees would go down hill while on this great nectar source. When your bees are collecting pollen is it nutritional???? You must have Varroa under control by August 15 and start pollen subsitutes on Aug 15 to have strong young fat bees to survive winter. CCD my money is on imicloprid.

CCD my money is on imicloprid. -jjgbee
    Why do you believe imidacloprid is the cause of CCD? What makes you believe it?

Australians are on the case with nutrition. In 2000 or so, they (Denis Andersen) did a study on a type of disappearing disease (Muck) that cleared up when they trapped the local pollen OUT of the hive and fed supplement.

Dickm

Quote Originally Posted by Kieck View Post
    Why do you believe imidacloprid is the cause of CCD? What makes you believe it?
    Erick Lane is a aquaintance of mine. Go to Lanesbees.com and read all his data. He seems like a very logical guy and would be worthy of debating the subject. Why won't the (experts) studying CCD return his calls? Why does the study group have funds to collect samples of honey and pollen but no funds to have them analysed?

No no, dont you back your statements up with a vaugely stated USDA statements.

>>"stresses include poor nutrition (due to apiary overcrowding, pollination of crops with low nutritional value, or pollen or nectar dearth) and migratory stress brought about by the increased need to move bees long distances for pollination. Stress could compromise the immune system of bees making colonies more susceptible to disease

That statement has nothing to do with the claims you have been boldly making here.

Pulling snipps of statements dont prove exagerated statements.

Oh, and Boris,
    provide Dr. Curries reference!
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Default Well Boris,

Your proposal does not address the couriosity of robbers staying away for 3 days.
    The fire department will show you a triangle with each side labeled heat, fuel and oxygen. They say take one of these away and you can not have a fire.
    Seems to me it is a similar situation with CCD with one side labled Bees. Once they are gone the conditions creating the problem stops and the hive is safe to enter after three days.
    What could the presence of the bees be contributing to the condition killing them other than heat? Perhaps if a CCD hive were brought up to temperatures that would exist with the bees present a toxic condition could be found.