Default Any BBQ Cookers out there?

One of the things I miss almost as much as messing with my bees is bbq'in on my smoker, low and slow. I racked up a bunch of hickory and cherry wood this winter and can't wait to have some friend over for a cook out. My favorite is doing pork butts on the smoker for about 12 hours until it pulls good, then mix up some of my North Carolina style Q sauce. Add some baked beans, corn bread, slaw and a Corona & Lime and we got a good time. I can't wait for warmer weather!

What do you put on the pork butts? DH loves to hunt wild hogs, and I'm always game for a pork butt recipe for the smoker.

I put a rub on them to soak the night before, when they are on the smoker I mop them with a apple cider recipe. I like the bark good and tough like jerky. I will dig up some recipes if you want them. A good bbq forum for you to check out is www.barbecuebible.com then go to the general discussion board, you can pick up a lot of tips there. I've never had any wild hog, I love to hunt but hog hunting looks like they run too much for my taste.

Wild hog is better (imo) than domestic because it has much less fat, but you want to shoot the females between 75 and 200 pounds to get the best for eating. Just bypass the big mamas and papas. Besides, trying to pick up a 500 pounder to bring back is tough on your back. Believe me, there is no shortage of wild hogs in this area. They really need to be thinned out. Oh, another plus to wild hogs is that they are "all naturale". No hormones, antibiotics or processed foods, so they are probably much better for you in general. If you do decide to take up wild hog hunting, be careful. They can be pretty dangerous.

Smile

Excellent thread Ruben!! I have a smoker in progress but do
    some pretty good Q on my Weber with indirect heat and good
    wood.

I have an old style fridge with the metal insides and fiberglass
    insulation. Rather than using electric inside the box I am leaning
    toward piping in from a firebox to slow it down even more.

I know it's not Q but I sure like to smoke fish. I have a kick butt
    fish brine recipe I'll dig out and post.

Sundance, what a coincidence. I just acquired an old fridge with metal insides today, but I don't think I could bring myself to pipe anything into it and use it for smoking. I've never smoked fish, but would be interested in learning how. Do you only smoke salt water fish, or are there some fresh water species that are good smoked?

I'm using a Chargriller Superpro w/side fire box right now but my dream is at www.gatorpits.net Rich builds some awsome smokers anywhere from $1500 up to $90,000. I have never tried smoking fish, might have to try some fresh trout this spring.

Most of my freinds and family love my bbq but think I'm crazy for staying up all night. Back before it got cold we did four pork butts and a beef brisket, had her smokin all night and half the day.

I like the sound of that wild hog, I wish they were running around here I'd invite one to my bbq!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
    Do you only smoke salt water fish, or are there some fresh water species that are good smoked?
    I have smoked shark, but that is the only salt water
    fish I've done.

All fish are great smoked!! The common misnomer is that
    you have to use low quality fish like carp. I have done
    Walleye, Bass, Crappie etc. I usually do fillets if they are
    large enough but you have to watch your heat carefully
    with any fish.

My favorite smoked fish are Lake Trout and Salmon.

It's all in the brine.......

For chicken I just use a brine with enough plain salt to
    float an egg and brine it 12 hours then on the smoker
    with hickory and some mesquite. Man that make for a
    great cold lunch.

Wild Hog sounds great. And IMO any wild game is far more
    healthy than commercial raise livestock. Leaner, and no
    chemicals and anti-biotics.

I brine my holiday turkeys, it's hard to beat a brine. I have never tried it on a smoker though, good idea thanks!

Smoked turkey is fantastic Ruben!! I am drooling at
    the thought.....

All this talk has me thinking of shoveling out the ol'
    Weber and having at it.

I also have a Little Chief Electric smoker that does an
    amazingly good job.

I'd be at it too Bruce but I have trouble maintaining food chamber temps in cold weather with my Chargriller. I like to cook my butts at about 225 degrees and it has to be warm out side or the chamber temp varies too much. I'm still working on mastering ribs, mine are decent by not BAM if you know what I mean. To me the perfect rib is when you take a bite and the meat is tender but only the bite comes away from the rib. There is a trick to it that I have not figured out yet, timing is everything.