Thread: Sbb?

Default Sbb?

I finally tried the Screen Bottom Board this year. My observation of this device, is this. The hives with out it, seem to be behind in build-up, seem to work only when it is warmer and seem to not be as active. The bees are russian strain so that is to be considered.

The hive with the SBB, is extremely active, is boiling over with bees, and looks like it could actually swarm, and we are a month away from a real swarm season. I really cannot believe what I am seeing. I left the bottom open all winter long, and this hive seems to have faired much better than the other 10 hives that had the bottom closed. This hive started as a nuc last spring. Robbed there honey in Sept. They worked golden rod until the end of the flow and went into winter with 3/4 of a medium of winter stores.

Is this a common result or is this completely out of the ordinary? From what I am seeing this means that all my hives should have SBB on them and not to worry about closing them for the winter.

Curious as to what you thoughts are....

Thanks
    TheSurveyor

I leave my SBB open year around here in north Texas. I think some hives, especially smaller populations sometimes do better on a solid bottom to limit drafts. I think it may help them brood earlier. If you have a strong population of bees, I don't think it matters nearly as much.

Good ventilation in the winter can make a lot of difference. I'm still not ready to leave them open here. A top entrance and some ventilation coming in the bottom also makes good ventilation without so much draft. Since the temps get a bit colder here, I think I'll leave the trays in.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I close my in winter to prevent the cold wind form penetrating. But in the warmer months I leave them open, since I have started using them I see less bearding in the summer and they seem to be able to cap honey sooner. Along with a passive control of varroa they are a great innovation to beekeeping.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.