Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Better bee

Joel! I'll split the gas with you! But, I'd prefer you wait till the weather warms up a bit! I believe you'd have to drive right past my house... I'll check on Mapquest tonight.
    Jeff

I ordered a polystyrene hive and 30 pierco frames for the supers. They called me because they could not supply the special glue. I elected to wait until they received it. They called back a few weeks later advising that they only had the big bottle, but if I wanted, they would ship it at the small bottle price. I took it and the shipment arrived in short order, as advertised.

I am marking their new catalog for future extraction supplies.
    Hobbyist

I live about 20 minutes from BetterBee. I ordered nuc #1 last year and it was great. I took their beginners class that Shane taught and he was great. I have talked to him a couple times since then and he has always seemed happy to discuss anything bees. He seems like the genuine article to me. I'm getting ready for year #2, more nucs, more equipment, swarm traps maybe a split! I'm figuring this is my store, some items seem higher, but I will pick up so no big deal. I believe in customer loyalty and expect good customer service.
    I'm begging you Shane clean up some of the loose ends you mentioned. It sounds like you are on the right track and what you said here fits with my first impression of you. (Poor guy was teaching the beginners class with his eye swollen shut!) I want to be your customer, I want to be treated like I'm your only customer. If so you will be my only supplier. One nuc last year, four this year that means sixteen next year, with all the things that go along. I hope it works this way.
    Its between you and your bees. L. Connor

BB does have a lot of good stuff and some reasonable prices, but the shipping department has very little flexability. I tried to get them to ship to Alaska Fedex Economy, but they would not. Only next day. The shipping was more than the order... Nearly everything flys up to here anyway, so why tripple the price. Thanks. Shorts

I just hung up the phone with betterbee requesting an update on an order placed at the beginning of the month.(check cleared on the 8th). I was informed that bb needed an additional 24.00 before they would ship, which I promptly paid. My gripe is why did they not call or send an e-mail?? This is not the first time this has occured :confused

I placed an order on the 9th of feb. Called and left a message today for a follow up , and he (Shane )called me back within the hour [img]smile.gif[/img] . Explained it was too cold to ship wax foundation, and it would be out when the weather broke. Thanks Betterbee

My last 2 shipping experiance (last 3 weeks) have been much improved. I called to check on Apistan I had ordered on Feb. 27 on tues the 6th, the shipping department rep was very friendly (thanks Brenda) and about an hour after the call the UPS truck pulled up.

Here's a story of good responsive action by Shane. I'm certain problems can still happen but the efrot and improvement is certainly noted.

I have order form many beekeeping suppliers none of which I have had problems with I would have to say I order most from Mann Lake and Betterbee, with no problems I do wonder why Betterbee’s shipping cost are a little higher? But on the items I order there prices are lower so it balances out. I have placed orders on the internet and by phone and when I have had a problem with an order they made it right without any hassle. So Betterbee as far as I am concerned thumbs up.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

This is my second year of beekeeping and I have ordered from dadant, mann lake, bushy mountain, and better bee. I have done most of my business with betterbee, their prices tend to be cheaper than the others and they have more products that im interested in.

Even though Mann lake and Dadant are much closer, and charge less for shipping - betterbee usually beats them both. However, my last two orders needed additional shipping - one order going from $20 to $45 - also one of the plastic wingnuts on a honey gate was broken. Not really a big deal, but annoying.

I won't stop buying from them, in fact, I still recommend them. I just wish they could refine their shipping calculator.

Default Betterbee

A few years ago when I was first interested in getting started I sent an email to 3 or 4 companies asking basic questions and Shane at Betterbee was the only one who took the time to respond and he has continued to every time I have a question. I get the usual pile of catalogs every year and find Betterbee's prices very competitive, quick to ship, plesant to deal with and accurate with shipping costs and packing the orders. They have even made things right when it was my stupidity not their error. 99% of my purchases have been through them since I started and plan to keep it that way. Every company has an occassional problem with back orders or an employee that is not up to snuff but it would have been better to deal with this over the phone to Shane when the problem occurred rather than using this forum. The problems could have been resolved sooner.

About the foundation that Betterbee said they would replace. I received the new foundation today with a invoice for 0.00. I went through half of the foundation and they seem to be in good shape. I didn't even have to remind them. Now that's the way customer service should be. Thank you Shane.

Well, I just placed an order from Betterbee BECAUSE of this thread. If someone makes a mistake, explains it....apologizes for it......or corrects it, then everything is square. We, as customers, ALWAYS have choice and often exercise it. Holding a grudge, prolonging an incident or desiring retribution is best left to non-beekeepers. If Betterbee wants, earns and keeps my business, I'm happy to be a customer. My business is theirs to lose, just like anyone else's.

Thank you Shane.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Ravenseye, I also placed an order with them because of this thread. Good work Shane
    Everything happens for a reason. Time heals all wounds - time and a half heals them even faster

I placed an order with BetterBee back in January or February that included foundation. It was explained to me that they'd hold the package until warmer weather lest the foundation crack. I said ok. The order arrived earlier this week, everything in fine condition.

I have found it is the luck of the draw with Betterbee. Sometimes you get someone who is helpful and sometimes you get someone who has major attitude.

So, I originally wrote a post acussing better bee of offering free shipping, but then charging me for it. I am editing my post because after Shane contacted me directly, and asked for my order number so he could help, I realized that it was WESTERN BEE, not Better bee that messed up my order.

I AM SOOOOO SORRY for any negative publicity this may have caused better bee. And I figure I owe them one, so I'll be placing an order with them shortly for frames and hive bodies. Thanks to Shane for making the effort to contact me. I appreciate what you're doing here, and I think it shows strength of character!

Sorry again for the false nab!!!

-K-
    Last edited by hummingberd; 04-05-2007 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Better Bee is INNOCENT!!!!!!

I asked them to take me off their mailing list about six months ago. It's a shame, because they are within driving distance for me. But I just didn't like their snippy attitude and I get such great service all my other suppliers, even if they are much farther away.

Tulipwood,

I too experienced the 'snippy' attitude last year with Betterbee. Then for some reason I decided not to give up on them and contacted them about another product, candlemaking supplies...they have a vast selection of items. I got great customer service that time..unfortunately, the only gripe I have now is that their tea lite and votive wicking for Beeswax are terrible. I had no luck whatsoever with these products. Soo, I ended up with Glory Bee Foods and Mid-Con for wicking supplies. These people gave me samples to work with first, instead of making me buy things I can't use. To me, that is "perfect" customer service!! Betterbee has definitely improved with the Customer Service though. I rate Glory Bee first - they have the BEST Candle Making Supply Selections (that I'm aware of) and they are soo friendly...must be that pacific coast country life, then Brushy Mountain second, then Mid-Con and Betterbee tied third, for various reasons. I haven't dealt with Mann Lake or Dadant yet so therefore I have no idea.

Well, like I said. It seems to be the "luck of the draw" with Betterbee. The last time I got the "snippy" treatment I just cut them loose.

I've ordered a few items from BB but their shipping costs are not competitive.

Their assembled slatted rack with the racks going longways is the best around though and I will continue to order those until I finally get around to making them myself.

I also ordered their sample pack of 15 flavored honey sticks which the kids love