Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Wax Volume at 1 Pound

10K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Dave W 
#1 ·
Does anyone have an exact volume for one pound of wax?

I have read dimensions on e-bay of people selling a 1 lbs block and also 1/4 pound cakes but I really don't want to rely upon their approximations.

Does anyone have concrete figures or references for volume/size at any specific weight?

Thanks,

Jeff

#6 ·
uh-oh....
The numbers given by Dave disagree wildly from those of my earlier post. My 8 ounce wax cake has a volume of 18.75 cu. in. from the dimensions I measured. How can that bee? :confused: Well, it seemed obvious to me that Dave W. likely didn't know what he was talking about. I did go back though and measure the wax cake again. The revised measurements for my 8 ounce wax cakes are 5 X 2.5 X 1.25 inches (15.625 cu. in. for 8 ounces or 31.25 cu. in. for 1 lb. wax block) which are more in line with the precise values given by Dave W. (I go a tad bit over when pouring the wax into molds.) :rolleyes:

#8 ·
Dick - That is about 10% more than Dave on both blocks. I'd say close enough for small time, but if I was selling 100 lbs, +/- 10 lbs could be some good change. Then again, I'd just directly weigh the dang blocks instead of trusting measurements.

Good enough gents - thanks a lot,

Jeff

#10 ·
Dave W is awfully close to the mark. I came up with 1 ounce = 1.772 cubic inches and 1 lbs = 28.352 cubic inches. The specific gravity of beeswax can range from .960 to .972.

Dave, I'd say you DO know what you're talking about!

#11 ·
When making was cakes, candles, etc. its nice to know what sort of consumption of wax each item will consume. The volume of the container can be figured, but the weight of wax consumed can not. Knowing a wax:weight ratio helps in a conversion.

Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.