Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

freezing candles

28K views 83 replies 16 participants last post by  BULLSEYE BILL 
#1 ·
I have heard that freezing a candle before burning makes it last longer.

Is this a wives tale?

#81 ·
> Blessed is the peacemaker.

For they shall inherit the kingdom of Alaska and live in the igloo on the tundra forever. :D

I knew it wouldn't last.

Did you know that a cartridge fired at a low temperature has less chamber pressure and therefore less velocity than one fired at a higher temperature?

#82 ·
Where did searcher's research go? I didn't get a chance to peer review it.

I bought some of those "long burning" camping candles found in camping supply catalogs some time back. They burn just like regular candles, there is nothing special about them. I say the only significant affect on burn time would be the size of the wick and wether or not the wax puddles up and prevents it from burning very well. Some crappy candles will burn semingly forever as a tiny, useless flame in a puddle of wax. The best candle I have for camping is a large beeswax candle with an oversized wick. It burns very bright and you can read by it. You have to trim the wick occasionally because it is oversized. This could be a fire hazard if left unattended. I take candles on car camping trips, never backpacking trips, as candles certainly fall in the category of unnecessary weight in a backpack. The camping stores will load you down with crap while lightening your wallet.

#83 ·
Those "long burning" camp candles are designed to blind campers so they will lay down some cash. They're sort of like those fancy fishing lures that are designed to catch fishermen.

Beeswax candles burn cleaner, longer, and brighter than parrafin candles. And they give off a pleasant hint of honey odor, which may not be all that great an idea in bear country. :eek: Perhaps the meek should use parrafin after all, if they're going to inherit Alaskan tundra.

Thanks guys, for making my day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.