Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Candles

5K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  BULLSEYE BILL 
#1 ·
ok, now that I have 100 pounds of wax sitting around, I would like to hear from some of the candle makers on here. This is all great cappings wax, so I do intend on selling the candles.

So:

What is the best way to make candles? Wicking, size of wick with different size candles, plastic vs. metal molds, best selling styles, cheapest supplies ect, ect.

Also, I bought a $3.00 crock pot from goodwill with a tempature adjustment, and intend on drilling a hole near the bottom and attaching a spigot for good wax control/flow. How well will this work?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Some of this depends on how well you can get a hole drilled in the ceramic. Not an easy thing, but not impossible. If you succeed and you can get a spigot that is sealed up so the wax doesn't leak around it, and you don't hit a heating coil, it sounds like it would work nicely.

#3 ·
You may want to look at this item on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41368&item=2347866031

I bought two last year and they are great.
They heat up fast, have a temperature control
and a pouring spout. I tried other ways but always had problem with the spigot clogging up with wax. I think a spout is the way to go!

I use the "rubber" type molds.
Best sellers for me are the 10" tapers
and the little hive w/bear.

#5 ·
It's better to take your wax off the top. No matter how much I filter it, there always seems to be something in the bottem. We melt it in a pitcher and then pout the wax in the molds. Flex molds are the best. Mann Lake, B&B and BetterBee all have comparably priced supplies. They also have charts for wicking size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.