Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kombucha

Good link! Thanks for sharing it.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Thanks George!

Hi Guys,

It looks like Kombucha ferments at a much lower temp than does vinegar cultures. That's an great advantage for a cool weather climate like mine.

I've ordered a kombucha mushroom. Thanks for the links.

Last winter I spilled my single quart of vinegar culture on the bedroom rug while re-arranging the bedroom!

I did mention that it would cure her blood pressure problems, prevent breast cancer and cure diabetes, just in case she should develop either of those diseases. ;&gt

My wife says, here we go again :&gt

Regards
    Dennis

But did she have a blood pressure problem BEFORE you spilled it? [img]smile.gif[/img]

dcross,

I just got the culture in the mail. What an amazing structure. It looks like some sort of a jellyfish. How do you recommend restarting it. I have sanitized 1 gallon glass honey jars, washcloths etc. Should I just cut off a piece or use the whole thing?

Rinse briefly and use the whole thing. Add a bit of pasteurized vinegar to lower the pH a tad if you want, gives the scoby a head start. SWMBO just threatened to banish my kombuchery to the shed for the smell of my newest batch [img]smile.gif[/img] .
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Alright, I'm all set to do it today. Unfortunately work got all crazy on me and the scoby spent 3 days in the fridge, but it still seems OK. Thanks again dcross. Look for a letter in the mail.

Hi Guys,

Received my scoby today. Have a question about water. Our city water has chloromines in it. What kind of water should be used?

Regards
    Dennis

I've just boiled 10 mins (to drive off chlorine) before knockout and adding tea and not worried about chloramines. They can be readily addressed by a tiny addition of sulfite, but I don't bother for kombucha and the sulfite might potentially inhibit the scoby bugs, even at that tiny dosage (like 5 ppm).

My $.02 is to not worry 'bout them, brew on!
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Hi Guys,

Well, it's been almost two weeks since I started my Kombucha and I sampled it today.

Very nice. Refreshing. Unique.

I ordered a kombucha mushroom over the internet from www.happyherbalist.com

It arrived after a couple of days and did the job even in my chloromined water.

I used the standard recipe with sugar for a one gallon batch. And let it ferment at about 68 to 74 degrees. It's been cold here.

If anyone wants a fermented product without the alcohol content, I would recommend trying Kombucha. It's fast, easy and tasty. It some ways, I like it better than my mead.

Now I've got to find a vessle larger than my one gallon ice tea jar.

Regards
    Dennis

[size="1"][ June 06, 2006, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: B Wrangler ][/size]

Glad to hear it Dennis! It's been bleedin' hot here and my consumption will already require another batch! Better keg that mild too...
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Hi Guys,

I have a mild skin condition. The cause is unknown and there is no cure. Areas will become puffy, inflamed and burn or itch. Steroids will take the sting out of it, but only offer short term relief.

I've noticed that some wines will take some of the sting out and reduce the swelling.

But after a single dose of Kombucha, all of the swelling, burning and itching are gone. Only a little pale redness remains. My wife, a nurse, has never seen those areas of my skin like this. She is amazed!

Initially, I tried to get her to taste some and she didn't like the fermented smell. But after seeing these results, shes ready to try it as a medicine for her high blood pressure.

Could it be true? Kombucha could be the key to world peace? ;&gt Don't know about those claims, but I know what it did to my skin.

Regards
    Dennis

Hi Guys,

Just an update on the Kombucha.

My wife tried Kombucha and experienced some good health benefits. She now drinks a glass or two per day. And I'm continuously brewing 2 1/2 gallons.

This stuff is amazing and I sure want to thank you Ben, and all of you for introducing it to me.

I could make quite a list of health benefits I've experienced since using Kombucha on a regular basis. Some of them weren't apparent until about a month after steady consumption.

My mead making has taken a back seat to the Kombucha. And I haven't consumed much mead. I've got about 24 gallons aging in better bottles. And expect they will get a chance to age alot longer than I thought, before Kombucha.

Regards
    Dennis

That's great news Dennis, glad to hear you and yours are feeling well. Just not drinking soda is benefit enough for me! Though after a serious bout of, er, "gastrointestinal distress" recently I was glad to have had kombucha around to repopulate the area with the good guys... never been a big yogurt fan.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Hi Guys,

Just a note on the effects of chloramines on kombucha.

I didn't initially notice any negative effects of cloramines when brewing kombucha. But, over time, the scoby decreased in size. And the kombucha, although still tasting great, lost much of its medicinal potency.

So, I decided to treat the water and feed the yeast, much as I do when making mead. I take a campden table and divide it into about 20 parts. I add one of those small flecks to a gallon of water before I brew the tea. And I added one granule of yeast nutrient. I continuous brew a 2 1/2 gallon batch and refill when its down a gallon.

Amazing results!. There's been more scoby growth in 48 hours, than during months of continuous brewing.

I'm sure the yeast nutrient had a positive effect on the yeast. But the most noticeable difference was in the cellulose producing bacteria. I think taking the chloramines out had the most effect.

I'm going to try a few batches using bottled water without the chloramines.

Check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloramine for a neat picture of a swimming pool filled with cloramine treated water. It is surprising! I doubt a thirsty man would take a drink from a bulk water supply treated with chloramine if he could see the water.

Regards
    Dennis
    Having seen water that looks just like chloramine treated water when reclaiming uranium milling/mining sites

[size="1"][ January 15, 2007, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: D. Murrell ][/size]

I bought some boysenberry flavor extract to use in a wheat beer and have decided that I really don't care for it. Two ounces of extract was overwhelming in five gallons of beer. I still have one bottle of extract and was considering trying some in my kombucha but I'm a little concerned about 1) ruining an entire batch of kombucha, or 2) how do I measure a miniscule amount of extract for a single serving of kombucha?
    Has anybody tried flavor extracts of the sort sold by homebrew stores (2 or 4 oz. bottle per 5 gal.)?
    George

Well you gots a couple options. For flavoring the whole batch if you don't want to commit to just adding it "to taste": you can dilute a sample of the extract say 1:10 with distilled water, then add that drop by drop to a measured glass of kombucha. Taste after each addition. Note when it is perceptible, then balanced, then assertive. If anywhere on that spectrum is pleasing to your taste, it's simple math to scale up extract to the volume of the whole batch.

For single-glass doctoring, you could dilute extract with a bit of the kombucha and keep that in the fridge. Then use this "concentrate" to dribble into your 'bucha. Or get a pipette, a laboratory straw of sorts for measuring tiny amounts or liquids (it's all about the toys ).

I've used the flavor extracts a good bit over the years. I find them great for tweaking, but pretty one-dimensional and just not quite the same for meads and delicate beers. IMO where they really are useful is for

1) bringing that mead with real blueberries that just isn't quite assertive enough up to where you want it (and adjust your recipe for next time).

2) adding fruit character that won't be subjected to strong scrutiny. For example a hint of raspberry in a big ole braggot, or an uninspiring Chianti that some cherry or passionfruit makes more interesting or drinkable. My wife and I entertain often and enthusiastically. I brew beer in 10 to 15 gallon batches, and I will occasionally "cheat" and raspberry one keg of stout for example, or cherry a keg of the cream ale for the ladies. They invariably are HUGE hits. The serious geeks may taste the difference (while enjoying nonetheless), but I make no apologies for using extracts.

If I may re-ascend my soapbox for a moment (I know some have strong feelings about extracts and wouldn't let one near their mead with a ten-foot racking cane, so I'll try to forestall the flames). The whole point of making home beverages IMO is to make something you and your guests will enjoy, and to enjoy the learning process. If that's a month-old gallon jug of mead made with bread yeast, enjoy and serve with pride! If you send samples to Weihenstephan for expert taste, laboratory and chromatograhic analysis before offering it to your sommelier friends in crystal glassware, good on you!

Do it the way you dig it, that's the whole idea. When I was in the homebrew shop business, I used a "winemaker" vs. "winer" comparison to prevent people from apologizing for their wine or mead before I even tasted it.

Ahem. Sorry [img]smile.gif[/img] . My $.02 is to experiment with the fruit extracts. I'd say used as I describe above, about 95% of my customers were very satisfied. Used to make a delicate varietal mead into a delicate boysenberry mead, perhaps 50%.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Hi Guys,

Just another update on the update :>)

My wife is sold on kombucha. Her hair has returned to the luster, thickness and volume she had 20 years ago. And her skin has lost at least a decade of wear. She had some arthritis in her knees that made getting up, without holding onto something, difficult. No more problem there. She can get up, from any position, without the pain or stiffness.

Her relatives, who questioned my sanity and thought I might poison myself and others by making kombucha, took one look at my wife and they're all drinking it.

And her nursing friends are doing the same and are reporting some very beneficial results.

Now I could list a least a half dozen ways my health has improved since drinking kombucha, but won't because you wouldn't believe it.

But I would suggest trying it for yourself and making your own list. Then we could compare lists.

Regards
    Dennis
    Who had never heard of kombucha until reading about it here. Thanks guys.

Great to hear about someone doing well Dennis! Hope good health continue for you and yours.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Default Re: Kombucha

Could someone give reference to more precise description for making drinkable kombucha, something of kind “Making kombucha for dummies”.
    I know sufficiently enough about making mead or wine, but making beer or particularly drinkable kombucha is a kind of “digital technology” for me.
    Does it have something to do with honey?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast