Thread: Fermented Honey

Question

I extracted some frames that contained uncapped, along with some capped honey,( about 50/50 )and it has started to ferment.
    Can this be used to make mead, or should I feed it back to the bees ?

It's possible that the honey could still be used for mead, it depends on how the falvor has been affected. Personally I wouldn't probably use it; the heartbreak of an off mead after a year is too great for me to take chances. I'll leave the question of appropriateness for the girls to more experienced beekeepers.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Next year, build a box about the same size as a medium super, put some regular light bulbs in it and a fan pointing upwards. Set your boxes with uncapped honey on top of it for a day or two and it'll reduce the moisture content to where it won't ferment on you. I had the same problem with a whole bunch of uncapped honey this year, but after doing that it didn't ferment.
    Central IL... where there are more hogs than people and more soybeans than hogs and people put together.

I use uncapped honey for mead, but only if it has not started to ferment. How do you know it has started to ferment?
    <a href=\"http://www.slezakfarms.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.slezakfarms.com</a>

Ben Brewcat:
    Personally I wouldn't probably use it;

I agree. I think I will mix it with "Honey B Healthy" and cut it with water and feed it back to bees.

east_stingray:
    Great piece of information.

Scotts: How do you know it has started to ferment?
    By odor and taste.

Thanks Guys