Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Putting honey into Simha

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Jim Fischer 
#1 ·
I use this Simha recipe: http://davespicks.com/writing/mme/recipes/simha.html

I read somehwere that honey could also be used in this recipe, but I wouldnt know how much to put in. And I dont think it should be done while bottling as that could throw off the carbonation process and the bottles would explode :eek: .

I have 5lb of un-pasturized clover honey.

Also, an off-topic question, what is it about Simha that makes it non-alcoholic?

#2 ·
Whew. That recipe probably would fall into the "pruno" (prison hooch) type of beverage, perhaps more useful for historical interest than for regular consumption. Certainly could be made using honey I guess, though it would certainly benefit from using different yeast. Bread yeast is used for bread because it produces a lot of CO2 quickly, not because it tastes like anything you'd want to drink in beverages. For a quick buzz, you might consider just using the sugar and save the honey for eating.

That recipe would be alcoholic however, unless you could continuously feed it oxygen somehow. I didn't see on that page a non-alcoholic claim.

#3 ·
The non-alcoholic claim is on this page: http://www.dlc.fi/~marianna/gourmet/mead.htm

Its the same recipe.

"it would certainly benefit from using different yeast. Bread yeast is used for bread because it produces a lot of CO2 quickly, not because it tastes like anything you'd want to drink in beverages."

Your right, but I think the drink is supposed to be like a soda, more then it is a beer or a wine.

#4 ·
Maybe it just depends on your definition of non-alcoholic. At the bottom of your second link there is another link to http://www.dlc.fi/~marianna/gourmet/19_10.htm . The fine print states:
*) In Finland commercially sold beverages containing alcohol less than 2,8 % are considered non-alcoholic. Store-bought meads typically have an alcohol content ranging between 0,5 and 2,8 %. Homemade mead may contain a very low amount of alcohol, but when made following this recipe, it is still suitable for children to drink.

I wouldn't give 2.8% alcohol to a child. I don't believe that "Store-bought meads typically have an alcohol content ranging between 0,5 and 2,8 %." I'd look for another recipe from a different source.
George

#5 ·
That's very similar to pop recipes I've seen - let it ferment just long enough to carbonate, then refridgerate to stop fermentation. The pop I've made was nasty, I don't try that anymore.

If you want carbonated sugar water, use a keg and force carbonate. That's the only really safe way, in my opinion.

#6 ·
"I wouldn't give 2.8% alcohol to a child. I don't believe that "Store-bought meads typically have an alcohol content ranging between 0,5 and 2,8 %." I'd look for another recipe from a different source.
George "

I believe it was talking about finland.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.