Hello,

Started to make some of these frames for if/when
    the hive comb starts to go off line for TBH. I built the frame to the plans on this site as my TBH would fit lang frames. After I made one it occured to me that if two or more of these frames where placed next to each other in the hive box that the bees could only get to the inner comb faces by leaving holes in the comb as they rework it. there is no notching in the frame itself to allow access from outside the frame if 2 or more are placed next to each other. I guess in lang you could space these frames apart but in TBH they have to butt up to each other. Would this be a problem or should I notch the frames to allow access from outside the frame? I guess another option would be just not to place 2 of them together?

Stu
    I like Bee

I make mine with dowels for side bars. Bees space isn't a problem because:

1. the bees usually do leave some gaps in the bottom corners of the frames. They always leave room to go where they want to go.

2. The dowels are not as far apart as the top bar, so bees can move between them.

3. Bees crawl under the frames.

4. I put the dowels where they are a bee-space or so away from the sides of the hive, although I don't worry too much about getting it exactly right. When I string wire on them (which is a minority of the time - only when I'm doing cut-outs) the repeated wire tension bends the dowels even further away from the walls of the hive.

In my case, I have a double layer of 1/4" hardware cloth for the bottom. The bees go through it at will, wherever they feel happy, but they don't attach comb to it - at least not yet.

[size="1"][ February 08, 2007, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: TX Ashurst ][/size]
    "Before I speak, I have something I'd like to say. . . . I will try to keep this short as long as I can." Yogi Berra

The frames are meant to be spaced apart. If I were going to put them in a TBH I would also make a spacer bar that fits between them to close off the top. This would be so that I could use them in a lang hive too but if you have only TBHs then you could make the top bars of the swarm frames wider.

As far as worrying about the bees traversing the combs (and hence the hive), they will take care of that by themselves. (besides, you won't get the comb in the swarm frame without a gap or two.)
    JohnF INTP

Usually they get from frame to frame through the corners. If there isn't a gap in the corner you can make one and they will maintain it.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks everyone for clarififcation.
    My plan was to make about 5 or so of these frame for use as need in a 30 bar TBH Im starting in the spring. My worry on placing serveral of these next to each other is that it would/could eventually lead to congestion in that section of the hive. Im thinking I will build a couple more of the hinged frames and also a few of TX Ashurst's Dow frames and see how they both work out. Being new to this the thought of cutting off/starighting comb from top bars is a little scary right now, adding in wiring it in makes it more so. But I guess with these type hive it's a fear I will have to face and get over.

Thanks
    Stu
    I like Bee

Just to clarify I'm not talking about the corners of the frame, but the corners of the comb.

I've used them and they work fine for that reason.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Also to clarify, I didn't invent using dowels to make a frame. I got the idea from the Jackson top bar hive.
    "Before I speak, I have something I'd like to say. . . . I will try to keep this short as long as I can." Yogi Berra