Hi - I'm brand new to beekeeping although I've been interested for a long time I have almost zero experience - I'm planning to build a couple top bar hives this winter and try it out next season. I'm wondering how much honey and wax to expect to harvest on average from a top bar hive, and also how often to check on the bees. Any info or experience or pointing in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks,
    Thea

Unless you are lucky you won't get any the first year. My bees in TBH's now give me about 30# of honey per year but I don't harvest hard either. Never measured the wax.

I never expect anything. Whatever you get is a gift. A hive in a good year can make 200 pounds of honey. A hive in a bad year can eat 100 pounds of syrup and make nothing.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks - I just wanted a general idea to gauge by, but I know it will always vary. I'm definately looking at this year as purely observation and learning. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Honey and wax may very well become secondary.
    What you may find is that you are overwhelmed with the experience of having and watching and being involved with your bees.
    I would check them often (you may not be able to resist anyway). That way you will experience as much as you can and learn lots of really cool stuff, amazing stuff.
    We could go on for days, but i think you get the idea.
    Have fun!
    Good luck.
    -j
    My Mom's other kids are smarter than me, but i'm not nearly as nice.

you'll get as many answers as there are beekeepers - it depends on the weather, how/when you start your hive, and many other factors. I started 3 tbh this spring and readily got at least 60lbs from each, leaving each with two full deeps equivalent or more of comb/honey/pollen. It is not that common to harvest in the first year but these were exceptional girls in an exceptional year

The best thing about a top bar hive is being able to harvest a little at a time. I always keep a knife with my hive inspection stuff. When doing a routine inspection I sometimes cut off some comb for myself. This seems to be much easier in a Tbh than in a langstroth. I would even take small amounts of uncapped nectar (runny, but a special treat). The bees will just fill back in the area. Nothing beats going back from your hives in the morning and squeezing fresh cut comb honey on hot biscuits.
    Live Removals & Local Honey in Austin, Texas. www.austinbees.com