Question

I am building a long TBH ( similar to D. Murrell ) that will accept a lang for a super. Now

1) Does the the lang rest on the outside frame of the Horizontal hive or the groove, rabbit on the inside ????

Or does it rest on the top bars ???

2) Has anyone tried a triple or double hinged lid that could be folded back.

I am trying to figure out how to get proper bee space, a top cover , and inside cover while still being able to super above the brood nest

Any ideas ???

> 1) Does the the lang rest on the outside frame of the Horizontal hive or the groove, rabbit on the inside ????

I did mine exactly the same as my long medium hives with a frame rabbet that was 3/4" deep. The super simply sets on top of the box with a 3/8" space left on the bottom.

www.bushfarms.com\beestopbarhives.htm

>2) Has anyone tried a triple or double hinged lid that could be folded back.

Not me.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I really like the combo hive plan from bee wrangler..
    http://bwrangler.farvista.net/gcom.htm

[size="1"][ December 31, 2006, 12:07 AM: Message edited by: D. Murrell ][/size]
    There is no greater satisfaction than the satisfaction of a job well done.

The problem with any type of hinged top comes in when you try to close it with a lot of bees crawling around on the top edge. It is impossable to close a hinged lid without squashing them. The standard lid is designed to slide into place and push the strays aside. I suppose a lot of smoke could be used to get them down before you closed a hinged lid.
    doug